Skip to main content

Ten On Tuesdays

It's Christmas themed Ten On Tuesday!

I have been counting down the days for Christmas for months now, in excitement to return home to spend Christmas with my family. However...I am fighting a large KNOT OF STRESS in my stomach right now -- b/c I heard it may be storming. :(

1. When do you put up and take down your Christmas decorations?
-Basically, since we're in school and life is crazy....it's whenever we get a chance after Thanksgiving. this year we did it the Sunday after Thanksgiving with the attitude of, "If we don't do it today....it won't get done." For once finals come around, we have no life!

-We will probably take it down January 6? Or whatever it is. The Sunday when Christmas season is officially over.

2. What do you do to simplify the holiday?
This year, since I don't work at all -- it would be absolutely silly to go all out and buy each other expensive gifts! So Ryan and I decided instead of doing extravagant gifts to keep it on a budget, and get each other nice things that make each other happy!

So I got adorable slippers, pajamas, an "Aerolatte" frother (amazing!!), and a few other little things. It was great!

3. What do you do to remind yourself and family what Christmas is all about?
I don't feel like I need much of a reminder about this one, to be completely honest. I love Christmas time. I love spending time with family. And the preparation of Advent helps enhance that reminder of the Christmas season's true meaning!

4. How do you spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?
Well, since most of you (all of you) that read my blog, read my sister's Blog. So you pretty much know what we do as a family!

Ryan and I have a little tradition we started last year on our Christmas in AZ to make monkey bread in the morning, and make mocha-peppermint coffees. When we celebrate Christmas Eve together (just the 2 of us) -- we make seafood pasta! This year I did a Vodka Sauce with shrimp and scallops. It was heavenly.

5. What is your favorite Christmas tradition?
Christmas Eve!! The oyester stew, crab, and seafood. All the family. Love it.

6. Did you do the whole Santa thing growing up? What did you like/not like about the tradition?
It's funny after reading my sister's version of the Santa tradition. Over the time period between us -- it changed in our house! I always went to bed Christmas Eve, put carrots and milk under the tree for Santa (he was on a diet...). And woke in the morning with gifts under the tree!

7. What is your favorite Christmas cookie?
Gingerbread. I love the red hots that decorate it. I adore red hots.

8. How do you take your egg nog?
I don't "take my egg nog". I have been a good sport and tried this 2 years in a row...just for my husband. And it makes me gag. I don't like drinks that I feel compelled to chew. Ish.

9. What is your favorite Christmas Carol and why?
White Christmas. It didn't hit home until I had a Christmas away from all my family, surrounded by 60-degree desert. Whenever that song came on last year, I cried. Like a wimp.

To substitute on your Christmas's away from snow...I like Melekelikimaka, Bing Crosby. (I spelled that wrong). But...that song makes me smile.

10. When was the last time you had a white Christmas?
Well...to be exact. It has been 3 years! Last Christmas I was in AZ during the season. And the Christmas before that, Christmas Day I flew to AZ. So my Christmas was mostly spent in a hotel room in MNPLS since my flight got delayed. It was worth it though! The trip was amazing.

Comments

Mama Nastase said…
I'm praying you have a safe, problem-free trip back to ND for Christmas.
Unknown said…
Safe travels, Abby. Are you flying into Fargo? I don't think they are getting as much snow as we are here in the cities. And, it will be worse on Christmas Eve. So, I think you guys will be fine!
Lisa's Yarns said…
I'm praying that your flight plans go off without a hitch. I think you will be fine! Think positive! :)

That is funny how the santa tradition changed! But you are right, Santa presents happen on Christmas morning now!
Marlys said…
I just read your blog - too busy before Christmas to do that, but I think we should make monkey bread for New Years!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...

Pandemic Pregnancy

Dearest Sebastian,  This will be a more sobering letter, but I don't think I can write about my pregnancy without addressing the big elephant in the room.  I write this letter to you in grave hopes that by the time you're old enough to read these letters, COVID-19 is something you read about in your history books. However, by the time you're taking history classes, I am sure you won't have textbooks. I'm sure some robot will tell you about it.  I hope that you go to a busy, bustling school with activities, contact sports, and choir. (all things that currently don't exist). I hope you had a childhood where you could play tag. (currently banned). I hope you have school pictures where you are making faces at the camera that is not hidden behind a mask. But given the current state, your mama is not so sure what kind of world she is bringing you into. At this point, all I can tell you is that I promise your Dad and I will travel with you and make life as special as w...