Skip to main content

The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports

This weekend my favorite time of the year has arrived! It's not May Day, either. No, it's not Cinco de Mayo. It's not the Tucson Folk Festival, either! .............

*Cue the trumpets.....*

The Kentucky Derby kicks off tonight - official races are tomorrow!!!!

Some of you may not be aware of my obsession with the Kentucky Derby. If you ask my husband, Ryan -- you would hear roars of laughter from him. For he thinks this is just hilarious and odd.

Why? Because I'm so not a sports fan. And beyond that - I really, really don't like animals. So why would I enjoy a "sporting event" involving animals?

Beats me!?

But I have made Ryan promise me that if we're every disgustingly rich, and just can't think of what to do with "allll" of our money (this won't ever happen...but I can dream!) -- we must take a trip to Louisville, attend the Derby.

Now, we could settle for the infield and just enjoy the atmosphere. But I would prefer to be escorted to "Millionaires Row" where the real action occurs.

I have spent time selecting my outfit and hat. The hat being the most important, of course.

Tomorrow, I plan on shaking up my first Mint Juleps. And I will be listening for "Lookin' At Lucky" to win. Why I chose this horse? ..... It's a little of my "residential pride". He was trained in Tucson, and his jockey also used to train in Tucson (Garret Gomez). "Lookin' AT Lucky" is chose to win, and his Gomez came in 2nd in the 2009 race with the hourse "Pioneerofthe Nile"!

So tomorrow, I will be donning my big floppy hat and cheering on Lookin at Lucky during the Run for the Roses 2010!!
Too bad it's not like this big flowery red one.........*sigh* ;)

Comments

Marlys said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marlys said…
OMG - you never cease to amaze me! I had a hoot reading your blog! Is it the horse race or the hats which fascinates you the most? You rock, kiddo! I hope you get a chance to attend some day!
Unknown said…
I'm guessing it's the hats...
Lisa's Yarns said…
Ha!!! I never knew this about you! That is hilarious. go check my friend Jen's blog post (http://imanolagirl.blogspot.com/2010/04/kentucky-derby-hats-i-love.html). She has a whole post about KY Derby hats!!

I think you would really enjoy going to Canterbury for the horse races. Even though it's not all about the fashion and hats, it's a really fun thing to do on Friday nights in the summer. I used to go all the time w/ Ryan. My goal was to make my $10 last the whole night. It's really, really fun. I thought i would hate it, but I really love it! I haven't been back since the summer Ryan and I were dating, so that would be summer of 2007. So I am way overdue! Oh, and it's only like 5 minutes from my house!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Let's try this again...

Last year we purchased soil, mulch, and all these plants that grow great in well-watered, rich-soiled areas. Then we went away for a weekend, and everything dried up like a prune. I was a bit disappointmented, as gardening is a hobby & passion of mine. In fact, I became quite frustrated with our hot climate. But we did some research on desert plants, and I found a new love! Desert plants are quite fascinating, actually. Their tough outer skin & small leaves result in maximum absorbtion of our spare water -- allowing them to thrive on little. They are also extremely regenerative. You can cut a branch or an arm off a cactus, and plant it in the ground somewhere else to create a new plant. So we found a very local cactus nursery last weekend, and got to work! Here are a few of the gems we planted. (These are pictures I've found offline, as I haven't taken proper pictures of our front yard yet due to the immaturity of our plants at this point) The Desert Barrel ...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...