Skip to main content

Growth

Let me just start out by saying that last night may have been the worst night of sleep I've ever gotten. What was Abby doing at 3am? Sitting in the living room, crying, and googling eye issues. My allergies are in crazy-mode right now. And I woke up to find myself itching my eyes, unfortunately.

When I looked in the mirror, I found that the sclera (whites of my eyes) were sticking out further than the iris (colored part). Also, there was a giant growth/bump on my eyeball!

...I freaked out a little. I worried I had cough some crazy infectious disease...being all my patients this weekend were fighting weird parasites, infections, MRSA, etc. (...and I work on a cardiac floor? Weird, huh) Anyways..

Turns it, my eyes are just really fricking irritated & pist off at Palo Verde trees & Dust. So now my eyeballs have bumps on them. Going to the Optometrist on Wedensday.

So I"m going to focus on "happy". Growth.

Yesterday marks 3 years of growth. 3 years ago, I moved to Arizona. In that time I have grown a lot. Learned a ton. And changed, experienced, and found out a lot about myself.

But I can't show pictures of real hard evidence of that. So instead...I'm going to excite you with pictures of the "growth" in my garden lately!!


Snapdragons & Celosia (the hairy-bright-looking guys). You can actually eat snapdragons. So my plan is one of these days to make a froofy, fancy, gourmet meal - and garnish/decorate it with snapdragons.

Yellow squash (these pictures were taken with my crackberry...)

The yellow squash plant. Aren't those flowers pretty?

1 of the 3 tomato (heirloom) plants

The vegetable section: tomatoes, red bell peppers, basil, squash, & mint

The pentunia garden. I also have a few pots arraged with these plants

And then there's a bed of marigolds & daisies...but I didn't get a picture of them!

Comments

Lisa's Yarns said…
Your garden looks awesome!

Oh and Barb and Paul grew "coolantro" when they were in Florida which is a cilantro-type plant that can handle the heat. Maybe check that out? Thought that was cool!

You have grown alot over the last 3 years! Moving far away has been tough at times I imagine, but it's a great opportunity to grow and become more independent. I had the same experience studying abroad. I know it's a fraction of the time you've been away, but not being able to rely on anyone really changed me as a person. Even if it was only for 6 months. Maybe I am too independent now. Ha.
Unknown said…
Culantro. Hope you can find it down there. It stands up in the heat, unlike cilantro, which bolts.

I am so sorry about your allergies. I read someplace that because so many people in Arizona planted trees that are not native to the region, it has made the pollen count much higher than it would be if they would have been content with native species. That explains your suffering. If you are a contact wearing person, this may not be the season.
Marlys said…
That may be why you didn't have as many allergies where you lived before as they only allowed native trees and plants! I feel for you and hope you get relief soon! Your garden looks awesome!
marybeth said…
Patanol, Abby. It's what I use with allergies, it's a prescription eye drop, the only thing that works for me. It's expensive, but it helps. I am the last person who should be giving a medical person advice, but this is the only thing that prevented me from literally removing my eyeballs from my head to itch them!
Mama Nastase said…
Abby, it's been the WORST season for allergies that I can remember!! All of the wildfires, plus the crazy bloomin' plants and trees, plus the wind...it's been insane! I hope you find some relief!! (I've had eye issues, too...so uncomfortable. :( ) I'm going to look into "patanol", thanks to the previous poster.

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Let's try this again...

Last year we purchased soil, mulch, and all these plants that grow great in well-watered, rich-soiled areas. Then we went away for a weekend, and everything dried up like a prune. I was a bit disappointmented, as gardening is a hobby & passion of mine. In fact, I became quite frustrated with our hot climate. But we did some research on desert plants, and I found a new love! Desert plants are quite fascinating, actually. Their tough outer skin & small leaves result in maximum absorbtion of our spare water -- allowing them to thrive on little. They are also extremely regenerative. You can cut a branch or an arm off a cactus, and plant it in the ground somewhere else to create a new plant. So we found a very local cactus nursery last weekend, and got to work! Here are a few of the gems we planted. (These are pictures I've found offline, as I haven't taken proper pictures of our front yard yet due to the immaturity of our plants at this point) The Desert Barrel ...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...