Skip to main content

Family Time!

Well, let me start by saying my trip home to Minnesota for our exteneded weekend at the lakes was everything I imagined & dreamed for it to be! The weather was great! People kept saying "Too bad it's not warmer for you guys"....but we LOVED it. It's been seirously 112 EVERY SINGLE DAY here in Arizona. In MN it was in the 70's every day. Amazing!!

We did tons of fishing.

I wakeboarded.

Went tubing with my nephews.

Ryan did some water skiing. And wakeboarding. (I cannot water ski)

Many hours were spent visiting & laughing with our family out on the deck.

Ate many delicious meals including the best rotisserie grilled turkey ever. It put Thanksgiving to shame.

I lounged on our raft in the sun. I actually turned a little pink, which is surprising with my AZ-bronze skin! (Apparently I'm not used to that *hot Minnesoooota sun*)

My nephews took quite a liking to Ryan - and he spent many hours out on the dock fishing with the boys (and helping untangle fishing line) -- it was adorable

I got to hold my newborn newphew, Charlie. Who is cute and precious beyond words!

After the family left, Ryan and I had a day together at the cabin. It rained most of the day - but we spent the morning out fishing. In the evening we went out for dinner and hit up the bar/restaraunt I used to work at for old time's sake.

We went for a long, relaxing evening boat ride around the lake gawking at our dream-cabins.

We visited my Grandma, who is incredible. At her age of 88 -- she walks 2 miles almost every morning, does her house work, works outside on her flowers, cares for her home, does all her grocery shopping, and is probably one of the most gracefully beautiful 88 year olds I've ever seen!

As we were saying our goodbyes, she really impressed her wisdom that Family is the most important thing one will ever have in life. She talked about how all the successes she's ever experienced, nothing amounts to the joy her family brings her.

When Ryan and I got in the car to leave, we both looked at each other and realized that it is important to listen to those who have been around longer than we have. 88 years vs 23 years = a great deal of wisdom.

She is so right! No success related to money, career, or status equals up to the joy that one gets from spending time with their loved ones!

Pictures to come soon of the trip! It's been a crazy week. We got home at 10 pm Monday night, and then I had 3 brutal days at work. The kind of days that make me have horrid nightmares! But now....I get Saturday-Monday off, so I'm a happy lady!

Comments

qwerkyqook said…
Loved this post. I'm so glad you got a chance to recharge. I can tell from your writing how happy it made you! Can't wait for pictures :)
Unknown said…
How fun to read this, Abby. So very touching. It sounds as if you had a wonderful trip. I am so glad you were able to see your Grandmother. How lucky you are to have her in your life!
Lisa's Yarns said…
I am envious of the fact that you got to see Grandma! I haven't seen her in way too long, but I will see her at the end of the month at Charlie's baptism, I"m sure. I email her, but it's not the same as seeing her.

She is so right, though. Family will always come first!
Marlys said…
She is an amazing lady! I'm sure if I went walking with her that she would outwalk me in speed and distance! She can pop up and down on her knees better than some 40 year olds! She was so happy to have you make time to see her! The trip home was so wonderful! Only thing missing was Chad, Emily & Kolin and it would have been perfect! Miss you so much! You would have loved this past weekend at the lake - almost perfect every day! Water is even warming up and the lake was a buzz all weekend! Such a joy to see and hear families laughing and playing together up and down the beach and there was so much activity on the lake from early morning until late at night! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Let's try this again...

Last year we purchased soil, mulch, and all these plants that grow great in well-watered, rich-soiled areas. Then we went away for a weekend, and everything dried up like a prune. I was a bit disappointmented, as gardening is a hobby & passion of mine. In fact, I became quite frustrated with our hot climate. But we did some research on desert plants, and I found a new love! Desert plants are quite fascinating, actually. Their tough outer skin & small leaves result in maximum absorbtion of our spare water -- allowing them to thrive on little. They are also extremely regenerative. You can cut a branch or an arm off a cactus, and plant it in the ground somewhere else to create a new plant. So we found a very local cactus nursery last weekend, and got to work! Here are a few of the gems we planted. (These are pictures I've found offline, as I haven't taken proper pictures of our front yard yet due to the immaturity of our plants at this point) The Desert Barrel ...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...