Skip to main content

The day I had to say "tater"

I'm due for a rant. A recipe comes out of this though, not to worry.

It all began Thursday night. Ryan was having a tough week. He was a worn out, stressed out, and, well, a crabby husband. Typically my plan of attack when I have a crabby husband is to heal the wounds with food. So I offered to make him anything he wanted (in a crock pot, of course).

My heart was crushed. He suggested an phenomenon (I call it a phenomenon, not a recipe) called "Tater Tot Hotdish"

"Say what? Tater? Did you just say ta-ter? Oh, You mean po-ta-to hotdish? Wait, HOTDISH? You want hotdish? I can't make that! I don't even know what that is".

#appalled.





Ryan smirked, "I bet you could figure out how to google and find a recipe."

So I did. I found a recipe. I googled "Lot Fat Tater Tot Hotdish". Tater Tot Hotdish is a phenomenon created by school lunch ladies. It makes a sloshing sound, as it is slapped on your tray.

**Warning: Particles of taters and tots may splash customers. Safety goggles advised**



"I love you. But I cannot be seen in a grocery store buying tots. It goes against all my morals and values.", I cried. (you know, because I'm a celebrity and people watch me grocery shop? I don't know why I fret about some of the things I fret about)

"I have faith you can figure it out, love ." was his smug response. Oh, boys.

So there I was at the grocery store - Where does a person even find "tots"? I looked in the baking section , I looked in the fresh produce section (by the potatoes). Finally, I had to ask someone. But I had to make it look as though I am not the person consuming these tots.
"Excuse me, ma'am, I'm making a recipe for someone and it calls for po-ta-to tots? Do you know where these would be located?", I asked in a tone showing that I don't eat *tots*.

"Oh, tater tots? Yeah, they're in the frozen food section, sweetheart"

*ah, cringe. Why do southern people use words like sweetheart, miss, & darlin'. I'm a ma'am.*

"Yes. Ta-ter Tots. Thank you, ma'am.", my solemn response.

So there I was in the frozen food section, eyes darting around making sure no one I knew would see me. And then I see a wife of one of Ryan's classmates, I quickly start power-walking away. *I cannot be seen buying these.*

(You'd think I was buying hemorrhoid cream or condoms or something embarassing the way I was reacting)

Once the coast was clear.......I was introduced to a section of the grocery store, that in my "grocery buying years" I have never seen. So many varieties of frozen potatoes and french fries and "potato tots"! Where do I even start? And then I chickened. I just couldn't do it. I had to put an original spin on this lunch-lady-special.

So my spin on "Tater Tot Hotdish" included the following:
  • 20 oz Frozen sweet potato bites
  • 1 lb ground turkey, (brown before putting in crock pot)
  • 12 oz fat free sour cream (next time I'm doing greek yogurt)
  • 1 bag organic frozen peas
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • S & P
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • fresh basil
I put all of the above in the crock pot for about 3 hours at 200 degrees F. Served it up with a little sriracha hot sauce. It wasn't terrible.

My husband loved it. It made me feel a little sheepish, because this created the most enthusiastic response ever out of him. "This is the best recipe ever!!! You should make this all the time! Yum! I'm going to eat the s*** out of these leftovers!"

I'm just going to attest that he was in need of comfort food. Somtimes canned beats sounds better than fresh avocado. So I get it. Sometimes macoroni & ketchup is more appealing to me than grilled salmon.

But yes, that was the day I had to say tater.



Comments

Lisa's Yarns said…
Ha, well I actually like tater tots! I don't think I have eaten them in years, but I like them when they are baked to a crisp! That is funny that you were ashamed to be seen with tater tots, though! I am glad you came up with a rendition of the dish that you were comfortable making and that Ryan was happy to eat. It is funny what we all consider comfort food. For me, it's noodles with ketchup, potato soup, or scrambled eggs with salsa.
Kelly said…
Haha, I agree with Lisa- tater tots were kind of a delicious part of cafeteria food. Not good for you though!

Your version sounds really delicious though!
Marlys said…
I read your blog to your Dad, and now he wants me to make him some Tater Tot hotdish, which he loves! I haven't made it in years!
You are too funny!
The recipe you made sounds really good, though!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Let's try this again...

Last year we purchased soil, mulch, and all these plants that grow great in well-watered, rich-soiled areas. Then we went away for a weekend, and everything dried up like a prune. I was a bit disappointmented, as gardening is a hobby & passion of mine. In fact, I became quite frustrated with our hot climate. But we did some research on desert plants, and I found a new love! Desert plants are quite fascinating, actually. Their tough outer skin & small leaves result in maximum absorbtion of our spare water -- allowing them to thrive on little. They are also extremely regenerative. You can cut a branch or an arm off a cactus, and plant it in the ground somewhere else to create a new plant. So we found a very local cactus nursery last weekend, and got to work! Here are a few of the gems we planted. (These are pictures I've found offline, as I haven't taken proper pictures of our front yard yet due to the immaturity of our plants at this point) The Desert Barrel ...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...