Skip to main content

Final Decision

Well, if you read my blog 2 posts ago , you would have found out that I'm accompanying Ryan on the next move to California.

That has since changed.

I'm going to be honest and say that I really feel at peace with my decision. For if life has taught me anything over the years, if you're going to make a decision, do it with all your heart and don't look back! 

Why the sudden change?

I learned that finding an apartment that offers a 5 month lease is nearly impossible. I researched about 12 different apartment complexes in the area, narrowed it down to 5 in the Riverside area that didn't worry me that I'd get shot while walking out to my car at night. (Riverside has some shady areas...)

I finally found one place that offered a 5 month lease, as they try to cater to military residents.

But here's what almost made me laugh. When I asked if they offer furnished apartments, they said "Yes, but your problem will be that we only rent out furniture for 3, 6, 9, or 12 month leases."

So I moved to Plan B. I decided to suck it up and live with Ryan in a hotel on base again (like we have done these past 4 months). I called the Air Force Inn that's at March AFB. Not only do they not have a kitchen, but you have to share a bathroom with other guests.

That was my breaking point. I can "white trash it" for a few months. A crock pot can be my main cooking appliance. I can use a pantry as a closet. I can live in a room that barely has a window - that is so dark that a day in the room could drive a person to a deep depression....

But I cannot share a bathroom with random other airmen. That was my cutoff. Ryan was in complete agreement with me. That's just fricking weird.

So we have decided to go with "safe" (instead of adventure). I will stay at our home in Tucson, while Ryan lives in Riverside and finishes up pilot training. It's only 5 months. And LA is only a 6 hour drive! It's a 1 hour flight. We will try to see each other every other weekend.

The obvious con in this situation is living apart from Ryan for 5 months. He's my soul mate, my best friend, and life isn't very fun without him. But we are strong, and will make this work!

The pro's are:
  • a job I love
  • a great group of friends that will be there for me every step of the way
  • my runnning/triathlon group to run and bike with
  • our house will be safe under my supervision
  • biweekly trips to California!! (Well sometimes Ryan will be coming my direction, too) 
  • Ryan will be able to put his 110% into this training during the week when I'm not there

So now I am just savoring each moment that we have together. Life is about to change again! But I'm okay with it.  Isn't it always changing?

I promise this should be the last 'life changer"/"life decision" post for awhile! I will return to decorating this blog with rants, recipes, and running. But it's been hard to think about those things lately, when such big changes are coming up! 


Comments

Marlys said…
Well, it would be not be glib to say that your life lately has been very interesting! I am all for you living together, but under those circumstances, it would be awful! You will make it work and seeing each other every couple of weeks will help so much! Will he have a roommate or will you stay at the motel he's in when you visit? Hang in there!
Lisa's Yarns said…
I totally support you in this decision. I am glad that you were able to join him in San Antonio but it sounds like staying in Tucson is the right decision for you. Living in a hotel room like that for 5 more months would have been so so hard. And sharing a bathroom? Uh uh. Not happening. I hope that the 5 months go by fast. I am glad that you will be able to see each other every other weekend and hopefully things like facetime will bridge the gap. If you get tired of holding your phones using facetime, I highly recommend Google's hangout video chat. You just need a webcam so if you both have computers that is a good option as well. If you don't have a webcam, they are only $25 at best buy and it was the best investment I made when I purchased mine years ago as that is how i keep in touch with a lot of my blog friends who live far away.

I will be praying for you guys! I know you can do it!! And it will be SO GREAT to be runited!!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Let's try this again...

Last year we purchased soil, mulch, and all these plants that grow great in well-watered, rich-soiled areas. Then we went away for a weekend, and everything dried up like a prune. I was a bit disappointmented, as gardening is a hobby & passion of mine. In fact, I became quite frustrated with our hot climate. But we did some research on desert plants, and I found a new love! Desert plants are quite fascinating, actually. Their tough outer skin & small leaves result in maximum absorbtion of our spare water -- allowing them to thrive on little. They are also extremely regenerative. You can cut a branch or an arm off a cactus, and plant it in the ground somewhere else to create a new plant. So we found a very local cactus nursery last weekend, and got to work! Here are a few of the gems we planted. (These are pictures I've found offline, as I haven't taken proper pictures of our front yard yet due to the immaturity of our plants at this point) The Desert Barrel ...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...