Skip to main content

Impromptu Vacation - Keystone, CO

In my 5 years of being married to my husband, I don't think we've ever planned a trip out in advance. And it seems to work out well. In fact, it amazes me how skilled we are at pulling off an epic vacation in the matter of 1-2 weeks!

So 6 days prior to the trip, I got a text from my husband asking if I could get Valentine's Day off (which is a Friday). Luckily, I have a very cool boss - who is flexible.

He wasn't inquiring on a lovers' getaway, but a weekend of extreme sports in the snowy mountains! (Which is actually more appealing to me, anyways!)

Getting to Keystone, CO was the hardest part. I drove from Tucson to Alamogordo, NM Thursday after work. Stayed w/ my husband Thursday night, and then we hit the road after he finished his flight Friday. It was a 9 hr drive from NM. Ended up being 12 hours, however, due to a snow storm & a horrific accident!

I think I will save my review of "snowboarding" for another post . As it's quite a story. Let's just say...the "Red Cross People" advised I take the Gondola and ski lift back down to the lodge, when I had kicked my snowboard and was marching down the mountain......

Sometimes I get a little "hot".

Here are highlights of the trip:

  • Taking a road trip through NM & CO with my husband. Being we live in different states right now...it was the biggest treat in the world to be stuck in a car with him for 12 hours to catch up on life....
  • We stayed in a beautiful home in a place called "Keystone Sancutary". It was seriously my dream house. It comfortably sleeps 10. It slept 14 of us (with air mattresses and couches).
  • Day 1 was my 1st attempt at any winter sport. I took the ski lift 3 miles to the top of the mountain with my snowboard. It was interesting.
  • We had a very full day - as we were on the slopes from about 10 am - 8 pm. I fell about 75 times. I maybe got 1 run in. I gave up by 3:30 and went to the bar.
  • The snow was incredible!
  • Saturday night we ordered pizza, hot tubbed, and taught Ryan's 4 classmates from Italy how to play games like beer-pong. Well, I spectated. I'm really glad we gave them such a rich taste of our culture *insert sarcastic expression*
  • Sunday it was back to the slopes! Being I gave up on snowboarding, had such a strained neck that I couldn't swallow, and my husband had a broken rib........we decided to opt out from the group and go cross-country skiing.
  • It was the best idea EVER. We trekked for hours through the countryside of Keystone. I definitely found my winter sport!
  • We spent a good hour soaking our sore bodies in the hot tub, and headed out for dinner.
  • Went to a steakhouse with 5 of Ryan's friends- and had a night to remember! It was so funny listening to the Italians' experiences of learning English, landing in Alamogordo, NM, and many more stories.
  • Monday - Ryan & I had a long trip back. 10 hours to NM. And I have 5 hours to Tucson. I got home at 1 am, and slept like I never have before!
Here are a few snapshots of the weekend. I must say...I fell in love with Colorado. Snow, but mild temps. Mountains. Precipitation. (I'm feeling overly dry with our current drought in AZ). It is such a breath-taking part of our country!!




This was us @ the top of the summit - where we had 3 miles to go down the mountain. I'm smiling here because I have no idea what pain I'm about to go through.....

I have a much more genuine smile on cross-country-skiing day :)


Comments

Lisa's Yarns said…
Your experience snow boarding reminds me of my first time skiing. I had a really awful experience and while I did go back and tackle that run again (after taking some lessons) I don't think skiing is an experience I need to have again! I think I'd feel differently if I had learned at an earlier age! It's tough to learn!

I am glad you guys had a great getaway, though. I love Colorado. Their snow is so different since it's so dry there, so the 'powder' consistency of snow is cool and not something we see a lot of in the Midwest. X-country skiing and snow shoeing were my favorite winter sports to do out here (and far less expensive than downhill skiing!). I am glad you had a good get away and I am super impressed that you manage to plan your awesome vacations sort of last minute!
Marlys said…
It sounds like you had a busy but fun weekend in Colorado! I have never been there but it sounds like a perfect place to hang out, especially in the winter! I'm glad you found a winter sport you can enjoy and it can even be done in North Dakota!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Let's try this again...

Last year we purchased soil, mulch, and all these plants that grow great in well-watered, rich-soiled areas. Then we went away for a weekend, and everything dried up like a prune. I was a bit disappointmented, as gardening is a hobby & passion of mine. In fact, I became quite frustrated with our hot climate. But we did some research on desert plants, and I found a new love! Desert plants are quite fascinating, actually. Their tough outer skin & small leaves result in maximum absorbtion of our spare water -- allowing them to thrive on little. They are also extremely regenerative. You can cut a branch or an arm off a cactus, and plant it in the ground somewhere else to create a new plant. So we found a very local cactus nursery last weekend, and got to work! Here are a few of the gems we planted. (These are pictures I've found offline, as I haven't taken proper pictures of our front yard yet due to the immaturity of our plants at this point) The Desert Barrel ...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...