Skip to main content

A Recipe! She's back at it in the kitchen!

I don't know if you've noticed my absence of recipes, but my abandoned kitchen tools have. It's just not fun to cook for yourself. It is so much easier to just heat up some boring black beans and eat it with a salad when you have no one to cook for.

Now that Ryan is home, and we are adjusting to "married life" under the same roof again - I am rekindling my love of the kitchen!

I made a recipe on Sunday afternoon, that I just had to share!

Green Lentil Curry.

I bought a bunch of bulk lentils from Sprouts last week, and had the thought to make them ahead of time for lunches during the week. And I found the perfect recipe for this!

And it was so easy! I found the recipe on Pinterest, made a few little changes. It is so good!!!

  • 2 cups green lentils (dry)
  • 1 14 oz can coconut milk (I used the lite version)
  • 8 oz tomato paste
  • 3 cups water
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped finely
  • 6 garlic cloves
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp coriander, ground
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  1. Sautee the onion and garlic with olive oil, until onions are slightly browned.
  2. Add in the seasonings, to allow the depth of the spices to come out (*cue amazing smells in your kitchen*)
  3. Transfer this to a crockpot. Add in the coconut milk, tomato paste, water, lentils. Stir to dissolve the tomato paste.
  4. Cook on high for 3 hours (or low for 6 hours).
  5. The consistency should not be soupy. You want the lentils to absorb all the liquid.
The recipe recommends serving with cilantro and tomatoes as garnish. I forgot about this part, but we didn't feel it needed garnish! The flavor was just so perfect, I wouldn't want to add anything to take away from it.

My meat-loving-man did ask if I could add meat to the dish, and because I love him - I did. So I took chicken breast, diced it, marinated it with curry, cumin, cayenne, pepper, olive oil, and orange juice. And served that on top of the lentils.

What have you been cooking lately?


Comments

Lisa's Yarns said…
Ha, love that Ryan requested the addition of meat! I am finally getting back into cooking now that I am settled in. I pretty much went a month without making any real meals between preparing to move, moving, and living with B&P temporarily so it's been good to get back into cooking. I made lentil enchiladas for us last weekend as that's Phil's favorite thing I make, and then this week I made these mini egg bake muffin things, baked chicken w/ lime & honey and a kale salad. So it's been a week of good eats! I def need to make this lentil curry as we love lentils and curry!
Marlys said…
Mmm, that sounds really good, Abby, and so healthy! I love the chicken addition and I'm sure that made Ryan happy, too!
It is great to see your are back in the kitchen because you are an awesome cook!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Let's try this again...

Last year we purchased soil, mulch, and all these plants that grow great in well-watered, rich-soiled areas. Then we went away for a weekend, and everything dried up like a prune. I was a bit disappointmented, as gardening is a hobby & passion of mine. In fact, I became quite frustrated with our hot climate. But we did some research on desert plants, and I found a new love! Desert plants are quite fascinating, actually. Their tough outer skin & small leaves result in maximum absorbtion of our spare water -- allowing them to thrive on little. They are also extremely regenerative. You can cut a branch or an arm off a cactus, and plant it in the ground somewhere else to create a new plant. So we found a very local cactus nursery last weekend, and got to work! Here are a few of the gems we planted. (These are pictures I've found offline, as I haven't taken proper pictures of our front yard yet due to the immaturity of our plants at this point) The Desert Barrel ...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...