Skip to main content

Random Play: Overnighter at Mount Lemmon

All I'm going to preface this post with, is that living on opposite shifts has been difficult for Ryan and I lately. Ryan working from 3 pm-1 am, me waking up at 4 am and working until 6 causes us to not see each other multiple days. "Living among each other" - has been way harder than merely living in opposite states. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true.

My reflections have come up with a conclusion for why this has been so challenging. When we lived in different state, we each were kind of doing our own thing. We'd talk in the evenings a few nights a week, and catch up. When we did see each other, we dedicated that time 100% to each other. We had a "rhythm" to our relationship.

Lately we live in the same house, but we "live" in opposite worlds. Much of the week, the only contact we have, is me being too loud when he's trying to sleep, and vice versa. Add sleep deprivation to the whole equation? And you have what I like to call "a funk". Very technical term.

Well, I am pleased to say that started today, Ryan is back on day shift. Thank you, Jesus.

But another problem solver was a spontaneous, mid-week escape to the mountains. We both happened to have Thursday off from work this week, and I was able to get off work early on Wednesday. At the last minute, we decided to pack the cooler, throw our camping totes in the car, and head up to Mount Lemmon for a quick "over-nighter".

Best decision ever!

We didn't even stay at a campground. We found this meadow on the side of the mountain, with pre-built fire pits, set up our gear, and just enjoyed the outdoors. (Don't worry, camping is legal where we stayed.)

How perfect is our little campsite? We had this huge area all to ourselves!!
 
I'm not sure what kind of pose I was attempting in this one. But I was excited!!


This was our view all around us! It was as if we had our own forest.
 
We made a fun camping recipe, and cracked open a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. Perfection. (Okay, I'll admit it. Our phones did get 3G, which allowed us to play Pandora radio all night.)
 
We made a really good recipe! It came from the "Campfire Cuisine" cookbook my brother Chad got me a few years ago. It's a book of gourmet camping food - totally our speed!
 
We made "BBQ Peking Duck Wraps" with an Asian Cucumber salad on the side. Except there was no duck at my grocery store, so I used chicken thighs. It was a marinade of OJ, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, honey - wrapped in a tortilla shells with green onions and lettuce. So good!
 
In the morning, we ran 5 miles up the mountain. That was a crazy, but fun decision. Running 8000 ft above sea level is more challenging than 3000 ;).
 
There is no place like the mountains to reset our soul, in my opinion. It's nice to get away from all distraction and just be. We both returned to work Friday with a "Monday" sense of excitement.
 
(I know most people don't like Mondays, but I get a rush of anticipation about the "newness Monday's bring.)
 
 

Comments

Lisa's Yarns said…
Oh fun! Sounds like an awesome getaway. And that meal sounds amazing! I am glad you guys got a chance to get away and reconnect in such a beautiful setting. And I am really glad he'll be working days again as I can see how it gets old fast to be 'ships passing in the night'.
Unknown said…
Looks awesome, Abby!
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...

Pandemic Pregnancy

Dearest Sebastian,  This will be a more sobering letter, but I don't think I can write about my pregnancy without addressing the big elephant in the room.  I write this letter to you in grave hopes that by the time you're old enough to read these letters, COVID-19 is something you read about in your history books. However, by the time you're taking history classes, I am sure you won't have textbooks. I'm sure some robot will tell you about it.  I hope that you go to a busy, bustling school with activities, contact sports, and choir. (all things that currently don't exist). I hope you had a childhood where you could play tag. (currently banned). I hope you have school pictures where you are making faces at the camera that is not hidden behind a mask. But given the current state, your mama is not so sure what kind of world she is bringing you into. At this point, all I can tell you is that I promise your Dad and I will travel with you and make life as special as w...