Skip to main content

Trail Running Mount Lemmon

I have been a bit absent from here lately. :(

I've really lost my "mojo" to write. I can't say I'm "too busy". I'm just not making time for it. Life has been busy lately! But I love busy.

Since my half ironman I have been.......

  • Enjoying the fact that I don't have to squeeze in 2 workouts a day
  • I've been picking up some shifts working in the ER to brush up on my "bedside" skills (my iv-starting skills didn't skip a beat! *skip, jump, high-five*)
  • Resting
I have a Ragnar trail race this weekend, which is more of an excuse to camp, party, and run with friends! Both Ryan and I are doing this - so it will be fun. He's been on opposite shifts of me for the past 2 weeks, so I'm excited to catch up.

With a double ear infection and several skin rashes, I have decided to stop the Masters swim team. Swimming was great, but I don't particularly like my apparent intolerance to chlorine (3 hours/week).

2 weekends ago, Ryan and I decided to escape the heat. So we headed up to Mount Lemmon and did a trail run.

I found the route via another blog. And this particular blogger said this was an "extremely runnable trail". Let me tell you, it was not.

It was 1900 ft above sea level. It was a 6.5 mile loop that basically went straight up and straight down the mountain. Coming down was on rocks, and there were parts that were so steep you had to hold on to the walls of the mountain in order not to fall.

"Runnable", my ass!! (is what I was repeating frequently during this run)

It was breath-taking, I will say. The leaves were changing, and there were incredible views.

But it was not wise to run.

I love this picture (sorry for the crappy quality of my I-phone camera).

A little snapshot of the trail we ran on!

I love the colors of leaves

Gorgeous contrast.

 

Once you get to the top of the loop, you were rewarded with these views! And then you had 3 miles down the mountain to tumble!

I felt on top of the world here. It was super windy on top of the summit!!

Trail running makes me happy :)


Comments

Lisa's Yarns said…
Wow, those photos are gorgeous! I actually think the iPhone takes awesome photos! I never use my camera anymore! And if you thought a trail was difficult, then I know it really was! Yikes! But I am glad you were rewarded with such awesome views!

And *high five* for not losing any of your IV skills - for your patient's sake I'm happy to hear that as I"ve been on the receiving end of a really bad iv insertion.
Marlys said…
I love the pictures you post of your stomping grounds, or should I say hiking, running grounds? They are awesome!
Also high five on the IV skills! Some have it and some don't! When I give blood there are some who should just find another job or stay with interviews or another task!
Keep us posted on the RAGNAR trail run - glad you both can enjoy it!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Let's try this again...

Last year we purchased soil, mulch, and all these plants that grow great in well-watered, rich-soiled areas. Then we went away for a weekend, and everything dried up like a prune. I was a bit disappointmented, as gardening is a hobby & passion of mine. In fact, I became quite frustrated with our hot climate. But we did some research on desert plants, and I found a new love! Desert plants are quite fascinating, actually. Their tough outer skin & small leaves result in maximum absorbtion of our spare water -- allowing them to thrive on little. They are also extremely regenerative. You can cut a branch or an arm off a cactus, and plant it in the ground somewhere else to create a new plant. So we found a very local cactus nursery last weekend, and got to work! Here are a few of the gems we planted. (These are pictures I've found offline, as I haven't taken proper pictures of our front yard yet due to the immaturity of our plants at this point) The Desert Barrel ...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...