Skip to main content

Our Last Christmas as 2

 Many talked about how different their Christmas was this year given the pandemic, and their need to be isolated at home with no family. Fortunately or unfortunately, this Christmas was no different for me. As a nurse, I've spent most Christmases working in the hospital. As a military spouse, the last 2 years I didn't even spend Christmas with Ryan. 2018 he was deployed and 2019 he was on mandatory orders and worked the night shift through the holiday. 

We live 1700 miles away from any family. So have always had to figure out a creative way to spend the holiday. As much as I love the Christmas season, the baking, the decorations, and the fun - the actual holiday is one that I have sort of come to not enjoy. I find myself in tears at some point either on Christmas Eve or Day in envy of people who get to spend holidays with their families.

While we try to travel home for holidays, it has been a challenge - since we both have jobs that continue to work on holidays. So we always would have to coordinate and bid our schedule. (Well, I have finally landed a position that doesn't require me to work holidays...)

This is not meant to be a "woe is me" post. :D It is just an honest reflection. With all that being said, I've learned to put a lot of energy into making the day special. And thankfully, we have friends who also do not have family in town that we have started to spend Christmas with - and that has filled the emptiness! 

But next year that changes - because we will have a little girl to enjoy the magic of Christmas with. We so look forward to that. 

Here is how we filled our Christmas to make it a really truly special holiday. I was so grateful to actually get to spend Christmas with Ryan this year - and we savored every minute of the holiday.


Christmas Eve was a busy day! We both worked out in the morning, I did some last-minute Christmas shopping, cleaned the house, and we hit the 4pm Christmas Eve Mass. 

Ryan prepared/grilled steaks & I made butternut squash risotto and a salad from our garden!


After dinner, I made a mug of tea and Ryan made himself whisky after-dinner drink - and we headed to a neighborhood in Tucson called "Winterhaven". Every year since the '80's - this neighborhood gets completely decked out in Christmas lights, and the streets are closed for people to walk (and they have horse carriages, too!). This Year COVID canceled the event - but many of the homes still decorated in beautiful lights. 

We took Miles and had a great evening walk. We decided this will be a new tradition we do every year with Baby Namaste!


After our walk - Ryan fired up the creme brulee torch to finish off the creme brulee I made earlier in the day. We had an espresso to accompany dessert, and we opened our gifts!


Ryan and I did not do big gifts for each other this year - since our "gift" was some updates to our backyard. But he got me a ton of cute pregnancy gifts: different skin products, a cookbook, and this shirt. 

I haven't been super keen on the idea of taking pictures of my belly. But I let him snap one, as I know someday it will be fun to look back on!


Christmas morning we woke up to the best gift an Arizonan can receive: Rain!!! 
I immediately canceled my 5:30 am running plans, and got up and made coffee and blueberry waffles with a blueberry compote (not pictured).


We face-timed my parents and then had probably a 2-hour zoom call with Ryan's Mom and step-dad in Germany and his sister's family. It was kind of fun to just casually spend a few hours catching up. It almost felt like in person! I was able to make my chocolate pie for Christmas dinner while we were catching up with his family :) 

We then headed to my friend Sharon's home for our annual tradition of Ciopinno Christmas dinner! 
It was a really fun evening, as it always is! We are so grateful for our friends who are like family. 

Ryan and I decided 5 minutes before heading to dinner, we would wear ugly sweaters. 
Ryan had no idea that I had this sweater in my closet - and we laughed so hard about how I "out-uglied" him!

It says "Baaaaa hum-bug" - and there is literally a stuffed lamb coming out of the sweater! 

It was a special 2 days - and I hope that anyone who had to experience Christmas in a different light this year for the 1st time was able to appreciate the importance and gift of good company. 

I also hope that by next year we have the luxury back of being able to travel and gather freely again!  













Comments

Lisa's Yarns said…
I am glad you guys had such a special holiday! The walking and seeing lights sounds awesome. If only that was possible here! We did drive and see some cool lights earlier this month, though, and it was mild that night but not ideal for a toddler and newborn! Your sweaters are funny!

This was our 2nd Christmas alone as I got the stomach flu on Paul’s first Christmas so we had to cancel our plans to go to the lake. It was actually ok to be home this Christmas as I am not getting much sleep and it’s tough to be at someone else’s house when you have a fussy/screaming baby... plus even without Covid I would be nervous to be around a large group during cold and flu season. With newborns, a fever is such a bad thing as it requires hospitalization and could require a spinal tap. But I do feel bad that Joan was alone. A friend brought her dinner on Christmas Eve but it’s still hard knowing she was alone. I am glad she has Oscar to keep her company!
Marlys said…
Being away from family is so hard on Christmas, so completely understand your tears! With a new baby, your next Christmas should be much better and hopefully travel will be easier. We are all ready to pack 2020 to the history books! Paul and I spent Christmas Eve alone for the first time since 1970! It was very quiet, but peaceful, and Christmas Mass was so beautiful. Even though we are not allowed to sing in church, while the organist was playing the traditional Christmas hymns during Mass and a cantor was softly singing, people started singing along softly and gently under their masks, and soon Father was singing, too. It was very soft and the feeling of Christ’s presence came alive in a way I had never experienced at Christmas Mass. I still savor the feeling that came over me.

It is wonderful that you have such great friends that take you in and include you on holidays, as I know you include them in your gatherings, also. They are your AZ family. Your Christmas sounded beautiful, and your sweaters were such a delight!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Let's try this again...

Last year we purchased soil, mulch, and all these plants that grow great in well-watered, rich-soiled areas. Then we went away for a weekend, and everything dried up like a prune. I was a bit disappointmented, as gardening is a hobby & passion of mine. In fact, I became quite frustrated with our hot climate. But we did some research on desert plants, and I found a new love! Desert plants are quite fascinating, actually. Their tough outer skin & small leaves result in maximum absorbtion of our spare water -- allowing them to thrive on little. They are also extremely regenerative. You can cut a branch or an arm off a cactus, and plant it in the ground somewhere else to create a new plant. So we found a very local cactus nursery last weekend, and got to work! Here are a few of the gems we planted. (These are pictures I've found offline, as I haven't taken proper pictures of our front yard yet due to the immaturity of our plants at this point) The Desert Barrel ...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...