Skip to main content

Writing Project: Childhood

While out and about last weekend, I stumbled upon a book with "things to write about" - which inspired this series I will be posting about sporadically. I say sporadically, because I am not a very consistent blogger ;)

I thought a childhood theme would be a fun place to start! Feel free to join in!

1.  What was your favorite toy? 
I definitely have fond memories of this baby doll that you filled with water, so it felt life-like. This is funny to me -- because I'm not a "baby person" in my adult life. But that is the toy that comes to mind 1st for me

2.  Did you ever get lost?
Several times. The one that sticks out most vividly was when my family went to Paridisio (a Mexican restaurant) and I went to Pizza Hut (which was next door). I was probably 3 or 4? I remember sitting in a booth, and finally realizing my Mom, Dad, and 4 siblings were not there. I ended up finding someone to help me get to the restaurant next door! I believe my parents ended up calling the police to search for me!

3.  Did you ever run away from home
On a winter day in North Dakota during a snow storm. I packed a back-pack and went out into a corn field and was gone for a long time (at least it felt like it). I believe this cues another panic from my family when they realized child #5 had "gone missing". 


4.  As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
An architect. I was very serious about this too. I had a blueprint program, and spent hours writing up "house plans". How did I end up in the medical field???

5.  What was your favorite subject in school?
English. I could do grammar worksheets for hours!! 

6.  What’s your first memory?
The earliest memory I can recall was at Battle Lake,MN in our family's camper with all my family. I remember sleeping on a bunk bed in a yellow "crayola crayon" sleeping bag. I loved the lakes, and always will!

7.  What is your most vivid memory of the kitchen in your childhood?
Mom's spaghetti sauce. Those were the most exciting days ever when I could smell the aroma of her sauce!

8.  As a child, who was your favorite relative?
I loved all my relatives. But I have to highlight very special memories of spending hours with my great-uncle Alvin in his shop. I would talk his ears off for hours. He would take me into town when he would go out for coffee. I remember he would always get me cookies and lemonade. To be honest, I don't remember anything we talked about -- I just remember he always made me feel special. 

Comments

Lisa's Yarns said…
This was a fun read as it was a walk down memory lane for me. I totally remember your water baby and I also remember when you got lost! We thought you might have drowned in the river - it was terrifying!!!

I might have to copy you and do this on my own!
Marlys said…
Your "lost" event was probably the worst experience of losing a child that we had! When we walked into Paradiso, there were a group of hoodlum looking teenagers hanging out in the parking lot, and when we couldn't find you, and called the rest home where we had just visited my Dad to see if you were there, we figured they had kidnapped you and you know where our minds went after that! Your Dad actually found you outside of the Pizza Hut when he was running around outside looking for you while I was running around inside! After we found you, we ordered a pitcher of margaritas as I was spent!
This was a fun recap! I, too, remember that doll! I wonder if it is still lurking somewhere? Hmmmm!
Marlys said…
And I always made jars of homemade spaghetti sauce from my garden produce and it was the best! I still have the recipe so maybe when I retire, I can make it again! I think my Mom gave it to me, so it was a "special" recipe!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...

Pandemic Pregnancy

Dearest Sebastian,  This will be a more sobering letter, but I don't think I can write about my pregnancy without addressing the big elephant in the room.  I write this letter to you in grave hopes that by the time you're old enough to read these letters, COVID-19 is something you read about in your history books. However, by the time you're taking history classes, I am sure you won't have textbooks. I'm sure some robot will tell you about it.  I hope that you go to a busy, bustling school with activities, contact sports, and choir. (all things that currently don't exist). I hope you had a childhood where you could play tag. (currently banned). I hope you have school pictures where you are making faces at the camera that is not hidden behind a mask. But given the current state, your mama is not so sure what kind of world she is bringing you into. At this point, all I can tell you is that I promise your Dad and I will travel with you and make life as special as w...