Skip to main content

Winter Escapes

Normal people escape winter to sunny and warm climates. Places where you can BBQ in a tshirt in January. Lounge by the pool in February. Wear shorts year round.

I live in one of those places ;)

Instead of escaping somewhere warm....we like to escape somewhere with cool temps and snow!

Well, Ryan really made an escape this Monday - as he is in a winter climate in NY for the next 3 months. But that is for work. And believe me, if he wasn't living in a hotel -- I'd be joining him. But my work-from-home job requires a hard-wire internet due to security purposes. And we have a 65 lb Golden Retriever.

I have blogged often about "Mount Lemmon" here in Tucson that is always at least 20 degrees cooler, has amazing pines, fresh air, camping, and hiking.

In the winter, if Tucson is getting a lot of rain - that means Mount Lemmon is getting snow. There is actually a ski lodge. Not the best skiing - as there is really only 1 slope and it is EXTREMELY steep. But....it's a slope!

This year it was on our bucket list last year to go see and play in the snow. We did not make it in 2016, so went the Monday after New Years - as NY weekend brought tons of rain! Here are a few photos from our little day trip. It was so fun!

This is the official sign that we have become "Tucsonans" or "Desert Dwellers". As we drove 1.5 hours to see snow. I remember when we 1st moved to AZ, I thought it was crazy to drive to see snow. But now I get it. And miss it so much!

Miles was in puppy heaven. He got out of the car, and started sprinting in circles and eating now. It was pure joy.

This was our view on the hike we did. All the streams were running because of all the rain/snow! Makes me happy, because that means we will have plentiful water source during springtime backpacking trips!

This picture brings me much peace. Something about a winter scene is so perfect....

And an obligatory "family picture". We were all smiles! 

Comments

Marlys said…
I understand why you enjoy the snow and serene setting of Mt Lemon! It is beautiful and serene! The one thing I noticed is the running streams, which you wouldn't find here, but it adds to the beauty. I bet Ryan is going to get his fill of winter snow in NY!
Lisa's Yarns said…
Looks like a fun day! I missed snow when I lived in Charlotte, so I get why you miss it, too. Although right now I am not so excited about snow because it's so dang cold here right now!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Let's try this again...

Last year we purchased soil, mulch, and all these plants that grow great in well-watered, rich-soiled areas. Then we went away for a weekend, and everything dried up like a prune. I was a bit disappointmented, as gardening is a hobby & passion of mine. In fact, I became quite frustrated with our hot climate. But we did some research on desert plants, and I found a new love! Desert plants are quite fascinating, actually. Their tough outer skin & small leaves result in maximum absorbtion of our spare water -- allowing them to thrive on little. They are also extremely regenerative. You can cut a branch or an arm off a cactus, and plant it in the ground somewhere else to create a new plant. So we found a very local cactus nursery last weekend, and got to work! Here are a few of the gems we planted. (These are pictures I've found offline, as I haven't taken proper pictures of our front yard yet due to the immaturity of our plants at this point) The Desert Barrel ...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...