Skip to main content

Getting Close to the Big Day...

We are finally starting to make some progress towards the big event! So I left off with the rehearsal. Now let's talk Groom's Dinner...

It was perfect. (Weather could've been nicer, but we can't control that). The cabin was picturesque. The food was amazing. Let me tell you about 2 idols that I have, and have had my whole life. They are called "My brothers" (Chad & Kevin). Growing up--I looked up to them like none-other. Sometimes they probably weren't the world's greatest influence's on me....but in the long run, they were. I say this because I can recall evenings where my brother was in high school throwing a party when he was supposed to be babysitting me. I was the *Center of Attention*. This may be why I, today, am so loud and love to tell stories. I would stand on tables and do Saturday Night Life impressions at the age of 5.

Although there were those moments--there were also times where they were the best role-models ever: for my some-day husband. From high school into college, any guy that tried taking me on a date--I would think to myself "What would my brother's think of him? Would they take him hunting/fishing--or is he too much of a wimp? Would they trust him to take care of me? Would they enjoy spending time with him at the lakes?"

No man I had ever met prior to Ryan met the criteria. When I met Ryan Nastase, when I spied on Ryan at church on Sunday's at the Newman Center, or saw him around campus before I even really talked to him...I dreamt he would be "That guy" my family accepted and loved. The first night I really sat down and talked to Ryan, I wanted to take him in my car and drive him down to the lakes to meet my family right that instant! He was everything I had ever dreamed of. He met every single aspect I ever wanted. I knew my family would love him, and be happy with my choice--because he made me the happiest I have ever felt!

So back to the dinner (after getting WAY side-tracked). My brother's cooked the meal for our Groom's Dinner. They do Barbecue Competitions, and have placed for having incredible BBQ-ed Brisket, Chicken, and Ribs. Their food is incredible. Just thinking of it makes my mouth water (and I'm not that big of a meat-lover, so this is truly saying something!) So they made their famous, highly-demanded Chicken and Brisket. It was perfect. We also had potato salad, beans, and root-beer floats--yum :)

We had a great time at the groom's dinner visiting with our family & friends, and still look back at those moments with a smile. :)

After the dinner, I headed to the hotel (Thumper Pond) with my sister Lisa. We had a room for the night since my hairdresser was arriving at 6:30 am Saturday morning.

I cannot explain in words how comforting it was to have Lisa there for me that night. I had so many feelings of excitement, anticipation, and just the need for someone to be there for me!--and she kept me at ease.

Growing up, I was often the only child living at home since my parents had me when they were 40 ;). There is a bit of an age gap between me and my siblings. However, the only sibling that lived at home for a significant amount of time was Lisa. We went through many memories together. We also went though a roller coaster of fighting/getting along/fighting/getting along. I also drove her crazy being in elementary school while she was in high school. (Sorry, Lisa)

Over the past few years, we have stayed in touch. But I can say that I had at one point believed we were never going to be close. I figured we were *sooo* different from each other, there's no way we would ever be close.

In preparation for the wedding, I got to know Lisa better. In getting to know each other that, surprisingly, we are extraordinarily similar!! In getting to know each other, I have found one of my best friends. My mom always told me "Some day you will appreciate your sisters, and they will be your best friends."....now I understand that. She and I have grown very close (even though we live on opposite sides of the country). However some day we will live close, and I think we will enjoy it a lot. :)

I am so happy that I got to spend that night with Lisa, and that time before the wedding. Her personality and support was exactly what any bride would dream of before their wedding.

I went to sleep that night with great excitement and anticipation. Luckily, Thursday night I didn't sleep a wink-- therefore, I was sleeping within 30 minutes to get well-rested before the big day!! :)

More to come...soon... :)

Comments

This was so touching to read. :) I feel the same way. We have become so close throughout your wedding planning, and then the wedding weekend brought us even closer. I can't wait for a day when you live closer & we can have sister nights! :)

I have the same 'brother test' when I date guys!! How funny, huh?

And I totally remember you performing "Wee Willy Winky" when you were a toddler. You had this floral nightgown w/ a night cap & you would sing it for all of Kevin's friends. Do you remember that? You were such a ham!!!
Mama Nastase said…
Awww, so sweet! I can imagine that Lisa's calm, cool approach to Maid of Honor-hood (is there such a word?) was perfect for you pre-wedding.

The relationship between sisters is a mysterious and wonderful thing...I grow closer to my sisters as I get older and count them among my best friends. Such a wonderful feeling!! Although I can't relate to having big brothers to look up to, I sure hope my girls feel the same about their big brothers as you do & did yours.

L

P.s.-It's 6:30 a.m. here and MY mouth is watering, thinking of that BBQ!
Marlys said…
I loved what you wrote about your first impression of Ryan! I think seeing him in church says a heck of a lot about him, as I'm sure not too many college guys do that! He won my heart right there! It's so neat that you wanted to bring him to the "lake" to meet us even though I'm sure we weren't there anymore, but if he liked the lake, he'd be ok by us, right? And I guarantee you that he is "right by us"! Love that young man! Keep up the sisterhood!
Marlys said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
I LOVED the part about your first impression of Ryan! You two are so awesome! Love ya lots!

Erin
Anonymous said…
OMG, my comment (well, the first part) is just about the same as your moms!hahahaha Sorry about that Maryls!

Erin

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c