Skip to main content

January ReCap!

So I am stealing this from my sister Lisa. I think these are a neat way of looking at your current "self". It's amazing how much your personal trends vary from month-to-month!

So, I apologize for my lack of creativity and for stealing this, Lisa! :)

Enjoy!

Current Books:
-Community/Public Health Nursing Practice ....exciting one!
-And I am also reading "Going Rogue" by my woman, Sarah Palin. I know, I know--you can all start gagging. I like her!

Current Music:
-Very similar to Lisa, I have been listening to Ingrid Michelson a lot lately. I have also revisted Dave Matthews Band. I go through phases with them, and always think that I will someday out grow their music--but that day is still to come!

Current Shame-Inducing Guilty Pleasure:
-I have a good one this month! Crab sticks with cocktail sauce. Yep. It doesn't get much more ghetto than that. You know, the imitation crap, I mean CRAB that is arrange in sticks. I like to have one for a quick proteiny, low fat snack. Dipped in spicy cocktail sauce.

Oh! And Taco sauce!! I don't know why, but I have a thing about condiments. I have been putting taco sauce on, like, everything! Salads, tortillas, celergy, broccoli...I even put on it pizza a few weeks ago!

Current Colors:
-Obnoxiously bright Purple!!!! Not by choice, my friends. I love colors. But I don't like purple. And that happens to be my school's color! And low and behold -- our scrubs are bright, scary, obnoxious purple! And this semster ( next 5 weeks ) I will be wearing those hot-colors 3 days a week approximately!

-I swear when I graduate, I will never wear purple again!

Current obsessions:
Probably biking. When I returned from my Christmas vacation; I found that my knee was giving me troubles. So I quit running for a few weeks. My doctor recommended I focus on non-weight bearing exercises like biking and swimming. I now love biking. Not quite as much as running, but it's something new and challenging!

Current Drink
:
Water with lemons and limes cut up in in. Lots. Some like the citrus to "freshen" up their water with a slight taste of citrus. I like to drink mine to the point where I get "puckered". I love citrus.

Current Song:
I am going to say Fidelity, Regina Specktor. It has even won honor of being my current ring tone!

Current Movie:
Inglorious Bastards. We rented it a few weeks ago, and I would be bold to say it was the best movie I have seen in a long time! Highly recommend it!!

Current TV Shows:
Oh, I am so shameful to admit this. But "The BAchelor". This could also be one of my "Shame-Inducing Guilty Pleasure". I get so sucked in! I make my poor husband sit through this show every Monday night. Even if he doesn't watch it, and finds better and more valuable things to do -- I tell him everything opinion that comes to my mind about the show. And then talk about it for about 30 minutes afterwards!!


Current Needs:

A NEW VACUUM CLEANER! I have probably complained about this one other times on my blog. Today, I was vacuuming, alone in my home. ANd I actually said out loud (Yep, I was talking to myself) -- "MARK MY WORDS. When I graduate, the FIRST thing I buy before a celebratory drink, before new clothes, before a house -- I will buy a vacuum cleaner!!!!!"

Current Triumph:
It's not really a triumph to many. It might not be one at all. But it is to me. I am finally starting to feel like a nurse. I remember this summer, in an outburst of tears to my husband saying, "I am terrible at nursing! I will never be able to do this! I will never feel confident in what I am doing"

And I am finally noticing that I am calm, collected, and even confident. I am really starting to see the big picture of things; and every patient I care for has a very special place in my heart! In fact, some of the patients I took care of during home health -- I miss and often wonder how they are doing and recovering!

Current Bane of my Existence

-Volunteering at the food bank and homeless shelter, communities, health promotion, senior citizens with COPD, and very low-socioeconomic-status rural "city" called Amado. These are all things that I am doing for the next 5 weeks. It's very humbling and enlightening. It really makes me appreciative of what we have.

Current Goal
:
-To try to do volunteer work at least once a month. I know that is not much, and selfish that it's where I'm starting. But I feel like I need to start somewhere. I am been kind of selfish and "inward", and feel like I need to start reaching out to others!

There is so much poverty and just people who need help!! With my career and education, I feel it would be a waste not to put my knowledge to good work!

Current Indulgence:
Vanilla yogurt with frozen berries and dry oatmeal. Mix it together, and it is the most amazing dessert ever. I promise. Don't knock it until you try it!!

Current Blessing:
Well, too many to count. Those are all obvoius. I am going to say my friends. This week has been filled with 19 hours of lecture. 8 on Monday, 8 on Tuesday, and 3.5 last night That is a LOT of sitting and listening! I don't know how I could survive sitting through all those hours if I didn't have my 2 friends in my class to make smart-ass comments to during these lectures.

Current Slang or Saying
:
"JUDAS PRIEST!!!!" I heard my Dad say this one when I was home over Christmas. It made my laugh. Hysterically, in fact. I just loved it. So now, I try using it as often as possible.

Current Outfit:

Ugly purple scrubs stocked with many alcohol prep pads, a stethoscope, and my hot-pink wound-supply scissors!! Or......jeans and a turtle-neck since I am taking advantage of the "cool" (50-degree) weather we've had! ;)

Current Excitement

My birthday is in one month, and my sister will be visiting in the area! So I will get to spend it with her! This is 2 years in a row, living away from family that I've been able to see family on 2/27! Last year my parents traveled down and surprised me!

Currend Mood:
Uptight, and happy. It's a nice mix. I am still having carry-over of business from last semester (just found out this morning). I have many papers and projects to complete in the next 5 weeks, and an exam on Tuesday. I just feel like too much is going on.

But, I'm happy that it's the weekend. I'm happy that I have a wonderful life. And I'm happy that I graduate in like 6-7 months!!

Comments

Mama Nastase said…
Wow! What a great recap. I have to admit to sharing the same t.v. show obsession...I LOVE to hate The Bachelor! We'll have to dish about it, now that I know you watch it, too. And mmmm....crab sticks! I haven't had them for so long, but now that you mentioned them, I'm going to have to add them to my shopping list.

I agree about volunteering. The benefits of volunteerism are so many, and it's so rewarding! It's so exciting to read that you're feeling more confident in nursing, as well. I'm really proud of you, Abby. It sounds like you've really grown alot since last semester.

Judas Priest! (haha) It's been forever since we've seen you guys. Let's plan a game night soon! xoxo
Marlys said…
I loved your blog, Abs! Really great job! You made me laugh, smile, and even tear up a bit! I've never watched the Bachelor but when we go to coffee, sometimes the ladies talk about it, and it scares the Be-Gee-Bies out of me! Are people really that vain! I shouldn't judge if I have never watched it, right?
This is the first year that I haven't watched the bachelor since like the 2nd season of it... I kind of miss it! But I am trying not to watch tv during the week right now.

I totally know the feeling you describe of not feeling like a nurse. That is kind of how I feel about my job right now, I don't feel like I am getting it, but i know that eventually I will feel like you feel, I just have to be patient!

Can't wait to celebrate your bday with you!!
Unknown said…
I remember your Grandpa McDougall saying "Judas Priest" and "For the love of St. Mike" all the time when we were young. Swear words were taboo in our household! My, how times have changed!!!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c