Skip to main content

Giving Back

As I've mentioned in previous blogs, I have been dreamings about gardens. I have gone back and forth about just waiting until we have a house, waiting until we move to a different state.......

But I've realized -- who knows when we'll move...and I am missing out on years of great gardening!

So yesterday, I finally went out and purchased pots, a big bag of soil, a watering can, and a nice array of plants!

To make this purchase, we used a small little portion of our tax return this year! And I realized, if everyone took a little bit of their tax return to plant some flowers, a tree, some fresh herbs, etc -- think of what we'd be giving back to our world!

Yes, I officially just want hippy on you all. But it's just a thought!

So here is the final product!: Let's hope they are fruitful, and my green-thumb comes to life!

Gerbera Daisies

Celosias

Geraniums (in the middle) and Vincas (on the outside)

Celebrity Tomato plant - (side view, I am way not computer savy and cannot figure out to flip the image).

So, let us hope this works out! It would make a very happy lady! :)

In addition to our gardening....this weekend we:

  • I made a new recipe of Lemon-Herbed Baked Chicken. One of my new favorites!
  • Spent every evening of the weekend enjoying the gorgeous AZ weather sitting on our deck!
  • Studied at the library in a small, confined room for almost 7 hours on Saturday (I about went crazy).
  • After Sunday morning mass......we changed clothes and returned to a place that I haven't stepped on in almost 2 years...........................
  • We hit up the driving range. Wow, my golfing needs work. In addition to being rusty - it only got worse. All the "Snow Birds" of Green Valley, AZ found it necessary to comment on our swinging.
    • "You know, if you did this....", "You should really do this..."
    • I wanted to remind them that "Hi, I don't golf every day. So take it easy...."
  • I planted our garden, and Ryan cleaned the garage. We truly are the classic American married couple. I love every second of it :)
  • We made a new recipe: Portobello Mushroom Pizzas - on the grill! Recipe to come this week! I will be bold enough to say this is a new favorite food! Very healthy too!!
Hope you all had a great weekend, and are off to a beautiful Monday!

Comments

I bet I can have the pizza you mentioned at the end. I assume the 'crust' was the mushroom. I think Kevin has made something similar. Yum!

Sounds like a lovely weekend. I am tempted to try to grow some tomatoes on my deck. I have no green thumb so hopefully they don't perish if I do buy them... it's worth a shot I guess!

I am the worst golfer.
Jess said…
Sounds like a great weekend..too bad some of it had to be ruined by studying...but it must be nice to know that's almost done!!

I don't generally like mushrooms, but portobello mushrooms are actually quite delicious, so look forward to hearing that recipe.
Kelly said…
Wow the chicken and mushroom pizza sounds amazing- I want to try both of those!

Um yeah- I would be so annoyed if people don't me how to golf at the driving range. Not trying to be a professional here!

Love the harvest table idea- I've heard it called a "captains table" too. Very good idea, much better than the traditional head table :)
Marlys said…
good luck with the flowers & tomatoes! They look beautiful! I hope they stay that way but am sure they will. Did you put holes in the bottom of the pots? Good drainage is key! Can't wait to see them in person!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c