Skip to main content

Minestrone

I think I am due for a recipe post.

Today it almost hit 100 in Tucson. Yikes! So, what better a topic to blog about than soup?! ;)

Many have the attitude that "soup is for cold weather". But, it's never reallly cold here. If I followed that rule, we'd never get to eat soup! That would be a very, very sad day.

Now, normally when you see Minestrone it is a vegetarian Italian soup. However, as I've stated previously - I have a carnivore of a husband. And a "Vegetarian-Meal" just wouldn't quite fly! So I serached around at Minestrone recipes - and concoted my own little "brew"!  Here it goes!
  • 1/2 lb Ground Turkey
  • 1 14.5 oz can Stewed Tomatoes
  • 1 can Garbanzo beans
  • 1.5 Beef Bullion Cube (you can do the low-sodium style, or can of beef broth, but I need my Na+) ;)
  • 3 cups water
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2-3 Bay leaves
And here is where it gets kinda murky, since I don't really do recipes......
  • About 1/2 Red onion, chopped
  • Chopped red, yellow, & green Bell peppers - about 1 cup?
  • 2 carrot sticks, chopped
  • 3 celery stalks, chopped
  • 2 Basil Leaves, finely chopped
  • A few pinches of Crushed Red Pepper to taste (how spicy are you feeling?)
  • A couple shakes of Oregano, Majoram, Pepper (more than a couple), Cumin (more than a couple)
  • A few swigs of Red Wine (wow, this recipe is getting about as sloppy as a soup sandwich...)
  • Pasta noodles of choice - as needed
  1. Brown the ground turkey, drain off any excess fat/nastiness.
  2. Add in beef broth, stewed tomatoes, and seasonings (basil, oregano, garlic, bay leaves, etc)
  3. Add in carrots, celery, onions, peppers, wine.
  4. Lastly, add in the garbanzo beans (this should go in last, so they don't get mushy)
  5. You can either let this simmer for a few hours (like I did), or you can serve immediately!
Now, for the pasta.....This is not a mandatory addition, but we tried it this time. And I did home-made. Which was a 1st!

My pasta was a general Betty Crocker cookbook recipe. Except I added in some basil & oregano to the flour to give a little extra "oomph"!

When serving the soup, serve with some pasta noodles. This soup makes excellent leftovers!

Just a little warning, if you combine the home-made pasta + soup for "left-overs", it will turn from "soup" to "pasta" because the noodles soak up the broth!

This soup is amazing and it truly warms thy soul! It's easy, too!

Here are some photos!


Soup a-simmering....
Rolling out my dough. I am not a baker-extraordinaire - so excuse the messiness lack-of-skill...

Noodles are hanging - the most fun part of all...
The finished product!!

Comments

qwerkyqook said…
Wow! Homemade noodles! Way to go lady:)
Marlys said…
Mmm, can I have a bowl? I have never made homemade noodles! Kudos!
Lisa's Yarns said…
HOly smokes - homemade noodles? I am in awe of you! :)

That soup looks awesome, though. I am a year round type of soup person, too. Except this last week when my condo has felt liek a sauna. I am so close to blwoing up the air mattress and moving into the living room. lol.

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...

Pandemic Pregnancy

Dearest Sebastian,  This will be a more sobering letter, but I don't think I can write about my pregnancy without addressing the big elephant in the room.  I write this letter to you in grave hopes that by the time you're old enough to read these letters, COVID-19 is something you read about in your history books. However, by the time you're taking history classes, I am sure you won't have textbooks. I'm sure some robot will tell you about it.  I hope that you go to a busy, bustling school with activities, contact sports, and choir. (all things that currently don't exist). I hope you had a childhood where you could play tag. (currently banned). I hope you have school pictures where you are making faces at the camera that is not hidden behind a mask. But given the current state, your mama is not so sure what kind of world she is bringing you into. At this point, all I can tell you is that I promise your Dad and I will travel with you and make life as special as w...