Skip to main content

Ivory

You may or may not know this about me. But, my passion is music. Once upon a time, I started taking lessons when I was in 1st grade. I kept this up until my senior year of high school. My teacher got me involved in several Piano Guild's and competitions. I even played for 2 weddings while I was in high school.

Then I went off to college.....

I had a music scholarship for trombone with the Wind Emsemble. This was great, but extremely time consuming. 3 hour rehearsals 3 times/week, plus sectional rehearsals 1/week. With nursing being the degree I was pursueing, I chose to quit band.

Not having access to a piano, I just kind of let go of it.

However, no matter what - upon visiting home -- my sister Lisa & I battle for "piano time". For we both have a strong love for playing piano!

Well, for the past year or so - this "loss" has been hard on me. Seriously. Every week in church, I cry real tears. I miss piano so much.

Well......

This weekend, we went to Phoenix for the Diamondback's game. We always go with Ryan's boss & wife. We stay at the house of a man who is a supplier to my husband's company. He has a gorgeous house filled with incredible antiques.

I happened to notice a beautiful, breath-takingly beautiful, piano. So I asked about it -- and QUITE the story goes along with this piano. The story will come another day on that one ;)

But he offered I play. Now, the piano hasn't been tuned in about 10 years. So needless to say, it didn't sound the greatest. So he pulled out an electric keyboard so I could put on a mini concert.

Well, that turned into -- 1 1/2 hours of me in the living room re-connecting with the piano and sipping wine. He was absolutely overjoyed to see someone taking appreciation. And Ryan was overjoyed to see me get back "in-touch" with an old love: the piano.

So, the next morning we packed up our stuff, and headed home. The whole drive, Ryan seemed very anxious to get home and unpack.................

I was dreading it.

Until we get home, and he says "Go in the house and unpack our bags - I need to work on something in the garage!"

....seemed odd....

Until I hear him yell, "Abby, come in the garage - I need help getting some stuff out of the trunk."

I come out to the garage to find the electronic keyboard, with about 10 books worth of piano music!!!

This surprise brought tears to my eyes!

So, I am in quite a happy place lately. After a tense, long day of clinicals -- it is incredible to come home and just "pound the ole' ivories"!!

It's not a real piano, but it's exactly what I need to get back into things!

So I am happy as a clam these days!

Comments

Lisa's Yarns said…
That is awesome! What a great surprise! Well done, Ryan!

One thing I really loved about living in Delta Gamma is the fact that they had a grand piano. It got played quite a bit by all the girls in the house and our house mom just absolutely loved it when we played it.

I also miss having a piano. When you get done with school, you should read 'The Piano Shop on the Left Bank'. As a fellow piano lover, you'd love it as it's all about the origin of the piano. Which was really interesting!
Unknown said…
How FANTASTIC is that??? I love this!!! Nothing eases one's tensions better than playing piano. What a great gift those people gave you! I am interested to learn the story of the antique piano as well.
Marlys said…
I am so happy you are back tinkling the ivories! It is such a great stress reducer and entertains those who get to listen! That was my favorite part of being a Mom - listening to the piano being played everyday! How I miss that! ENJOY!!!
Kelly said…
AWWW I love that!!! I'm terrible when it comes to musical instruments, I have no talent what so ever, but I love to hear others play :)

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...

Pandemic Pregnancy

Dearest Sebastian,  This will be a more sobering letter, but I don't think I can write about my pregnancy without addressing the big elephant in the room.  I write this letter to you in grave hopes that by the time you're old enough to read these letters, COVID-19 is something you read about in your history books. However, by the time you're taking history classes, I am sure you won't have textbooks. I'm sure some robot will tell you about it.  I hope that you go to a busy, bustling school with activities, contact sports, and choir. (all things that currently don't exist). I hope you had a childhood where you could play tag. (currently banned). I hope you have school pictures where you are making faces at the camera that is not hidden behind a mask. But given the current state, your mama is not so sure what kind of world she is bringing you into. At this point, all I can tell you is that I promise your Dad and I will travel with you and make life as special as w...