Skip to main content

Pandemic Pregnancy

Dearest Sebastian, 

This will be a more sobering letter, but I don't think I can write about my pregnancy without addressing the big elephant in the room. 

I write this letter to you in grave hopes that by the time you're old enough to read these letters, COVID-19 is something you read about in your history books. However, by the time you're taking history classes, I am sure you won't have textbooks. I'm sure some robot will tell you about it. 

I hope that you go to a busy, bustling school with activities, contact sports, and choir. (all things that currently don't exist). I hope you had a childhood where you could play tag. (currently banned). I hope you have school pictures where you are making faces at the camera that is not hidden behind a mask.

But given the current state, your mama is not so sure what kind of world she is bringing you into. At this point, all I can tell you is that I promise your Dad and I will travel with you and make life as special as we can. Right now things are a little 'off' in the world. Especially in Arizona, aka CoronaZona. It is truly incredible how much uproar 1 stupid lab bat can cause. 

Your Dad will never get to see you on the ultrasound or ask our doctor a question. He will only get to show up on the day you enter this world. Hopefully

Given how bad it is in Arizona, I have a recurring middle-of-the-night panic that I'll have to deliver you alone in a hospital room full of medical professionals in hazmat suits. 

 
I always anticipated that during the months of pregnancy, Ryan and I would interview various daycares and schools that were suited for our special babe. Now, I don't even know what my job will be in 1 month. It changes daily, as I help where I am needed to keep the hospital from the sheer crisis. How can I possibly plan childcare arrangements in a year from now? I don't know if schools will be open, daycares will be safe, and what life will look like. 

The amount of unknowns at this time is intensely overwhelming.

Your mom is also due to finish her Master's degree 2 months before you are born. However, she is facing some massive barriers right now getting her practicum set up due to the pandemic. Her university is not being very understanding, and have told her she can delay her graduation if it's so bad in her state. 

(Motherly piece of advice: Avoid online universities. Unless it is a full-ride scholarship. Then you just suck it up and get that stupid piece of paper...like me. And complain about it a lot. Like me.) 

I'm also scared to have to be inside a busy COVID-infested hospital while I am pregnant and have tried hard to get my university to make some exceptions. 

The only thing that is known is that I cannot wait to hold you in my arms. I also know your dad and I are 100% committed to giving you the best life possible! And I have faith that by the time you grace us with your presence, I'll have answers to all these worries that keep me up at night. 

I just want to give you the best life possible. These are realities of the world around you mom while she carried you for 9 months :) 

With Love,

NoMoreRona

Comments

This is a really hard time to be pregnant... especially when it's your first pregnancy. Does your OB allow you to FaceTime Ryan in? I FaceTime'd him in for our 8 week US and likely would have for the 20 week but now he is able to come with to that appt which is kind of a miracle. I suppose your challenge is that if Ryan is working, he can't exactly Facetime... :( If you have another child, hopefully you'll get to experience a more 'normal' pregnancy. It doesn't help that you work in healthcare and live in an area that has so dang many cases. I just hope and pray you and the baby stay healthy!
Marlys said…
I'm glad you posted this as it really is a crazy time in our world, and COVID is a very bad word! It kind of goes back to the days when I was young as husbands never accompanied their wives to doctor appointments. Through 5 pregnancies and two miscarriages your Dad never once came with me!
I'm so glad things have changed, but it breaks my heart that you have to experience this without Ryan. Fortunately, your Dad was present at all your births except Chad, when he was shooed to the waiting room until I came out of recovery! He remembers pacing the room like a mad man wondering what was transpiring! And we did take Lamaze classes together for the last four births,too, so that was really great. He was a great coach and I so needed him beside me during those moments. There was nothing to compare to seeing our children together for the first time. We missed that with Chad. I'm really enjoying your posts, and I pray things are much better by the time Sebastian arrives!
Azrunnergrl said…
I feel you Abby. The tough reality of a 2020 Pandemic pregnancy. But there is no best timing on bringOmg a child into your life. There’s a reason it’s now and I believe it’s a sign of hope for better days ahead. And to remind you that love, life, and family are the core of our existence. Through all the ideas mentioned in your post, what stood out most was wanting the best life possible for your child. I have no doubt you and Ryan will make life for your little one incredible. ❤️
Lizzie said…
Ohh Abby.. After reading this, my heart goes out to you💕. Now I understand how this is such a hard time to be pregnant. You are thinking about your baby's future and being protective of your baby working in the front lines. Thank you for sharing. God is good to lean upon. Xoxo and non socially distanced hugs my friend.

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c