Every Wednesday (hopefully I will stay true to this) I am going to write a "wellness related" segment. I might be a work out plan, a healthy recipe, maybe a home-remedy, or education about something health-related!
I hope you enjoy!
So to kick this off - I'm going to give a little history on WHY I have chosen to strive for wellness:
- First off, I was the chubby kid in elementary school/junior high. Not like I was HUGE, but I definitely got the occasional "tease" from my peers.
- So, high school started and I got determined to start taking care of myself a little better.
- I "over-did" it.
- And through that, I feel like I've gained a sense of "wisdom" that I now live my life by:....
- All is good in moderation!
- Striving to be "thin" instead of "healthy" didn't really make me all that healthy!
- In all honesty, I screwed my body over. I didn't get enough calcium & strong bones during age 16-20, which are the MOST VITAL years of bone development for a woman! I also had no immune system. It's taken about 2 years to get it somewhat "beefed" up. And it's still nothing fantastic.
- I learned from this experience that happiness is not found in a dress size.
- Happiness comes from: feeling good about yourself, enjoying life, enjoying good food, enjoying fun workouts.
- Happiness comes from completing a marathon/half marathon/whatever race/endeavor it may be! ...Not because you physically CAN, but because you're body is healthy & strong enough to carry you through it!
So my healthy tip for TODAY is......(this will be totally random and not interconnected with the previous post...FYI):
-It's grilling season -- and one of my favorites is grilled potatoes! Instead of the traditional white or red potatoes; use sweet potatoes! They have more flavor, (you can still dip them in ketchup), very high in beta-carotene, and many other nutrients!
-Just cut them up into quarters/slices, boil them for a few minutes to soften, and throw on the grill with some cumin, pepper, and garlic! Mmmmm
Hope everyone's week is going great!