Skip to main content

Pain

Let's talk "pain"....

Often pain is viewed as negative thing. It can be very bad. As a nurse, I've seen some pretty extreme cases of pain. It can totally have a psychological take-over on one. My heart hurts for people who deal with chronic pain. Chronic pain is just not nice.

But, today, I am dedicating a blog post to pain. Thanking it.

(Now, I realize that pain can be a huge burden in life. So PLEASE, if you suffer chronic pain -- don't think I'm referring to you and take offense.)

Pain is your body's way of communicating.

It tells you, "Please stop." It tells you, "You're doing something wrong."

I'm 10 weeks into training for my marathon on December 12. Things have been going amazing the whole time. Until last weekend....

After my 9 miler, my hip started feeling really sore. It's been slightly ongoing.

But it was getting exponentially worse this week.

3 years ago, I would've been stubborn and pigheaded and kept running on it. I would have said, "Eh, I'm young! I'll just run it off."

But this time...I stopped and immediately set up an appointment with a Sports Medicine MD.

Best idea ever! She happens to be an Ultra-Marathon runner. Has a history of being the Dr for the Philidelphia Eagles (that's an NFL team), and was once an Athletic Trainer for an Olympic marathon runner.

So she understood my fears.

She told me I came in at the perfect time. I just have inflammation in my hip. My legs are uneven lengths. Possibly due to the fact I was born in Hip Dysplasia (hips weren't in the sockets at birth)

So for the next 12 days, I will be doing electric stimulation, ultrasounds, myofacial release, and actual athletic training with her.

No running allowed. Biking only. Icing my hip 4-6 times/day.

Boo.

But, this will be good!

Not only will it let me heal, but it will teach me how to build and take care of my body in the future.

So..... lesson of that day for me and for ALL of you out there--

Listen to your body!!!!! It's one smart cookie ;)

(That is a smart cookie. Not a smily face with measles....) ;)

Comments

Marlys said…
Be sure to listen to her advice! I never thought about the hip dysplasia when you told me about your appt., but it makes perfect sense! Hope it heals quickly!
Lisa's Yarns said…
I am glad that you got this looked into, too. I think alot of us runners sort of cover our ears or sort of ignore the pain because we are afraid someone is going to tell us not to do a race. So then we train and train and run a race which then might result in a permanent injury.

You are one smart cookie! :)
Mama Nastase said…
How great that you listened to your body and are able to hit this head-on, rather than scrambling to undo damage when you're much older! That's also cool about your new doctor, I don't know if I've ever told you, but my girlfriend Kathy in Tempe is also a myofacial therapist!

Keep icing your hip and listening to your doctor. As Lisa said, you are one smart cookie!!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...

Pandemic Pregnancy

Dearest Sebastian,  This will be a more sobering letter, but I don't think I can write about my pregnancy without addressing the big elephant in the room.  I write this letter to you in grave hopes that by the time you're old enough to read these letters, COVID-19 is something you read about in your history books. However, by the time you're taking history classes, I am sure you won't have textbooks. I'm sure some robot will tell you about it.  I hope that you go to a busy, bustling school with activities, contact sports, and choir. (all things that currently don't exist). I hope you had a childhood where you could play tag. (currently banned). I hope you have school pictures where you are making faces at the camera that is not hidden behind a mask. But given the current state, your mama is not so sure what kind of world she is bringing you into. At this point, all I can tell you is that I promise your Dad and I will travel with you and make life as special as w...