Skip to main content

30 Blogs: My First Love

So today's post is to talk about your 1st love.

But before I get into that, I have news to share!.....

My hospital called me Thursday evening at about 6:30 pm with the offer. And I got my 1st pick - Telemetry! At my hopsital their telemetry unit is a cardiac step-down unit from the ICU. So I will get to see some pretty sick patients, but no ventilators! I am very excited to get my skills expanded! :)

Now on my 1st love....

I am proud to announce that my 1st real love was my husband. Prior to Ryan, I had never been in love. Nor did I even know what the meaning of love was. Never in my life had I committed or dedicated myself to anyone! It makes me happy to know that he is the 1st person and the only person I will ever share that bond with!

But I will share the story of the 1st boy that had me "smitten". It was the summer before 8th grade....at the International Music Camp in Canada at the Peace Gardens. He was 1st chair in the band, I was 2nd chair. He had a really nice trombone -- the fancy kind with the extension tubing. He even had this fancy polish for his instrument.

The band students in little wyndmere, ND did not have this kind of gear. Nor, did they even care about music. So this was exciting for me!

We were warming up before our 1st rehearsal.

....and I had never heard a B flat major scale sung so beautifully from a trombone.

He finally turned to me and said, "Hi. I'm Billy. Is that a yamaha?"

*sighhhh*

Throughout high school, and my intense activity in music -- I had several "love-at-first-sight" moments like this at various band trips. I remember deciding at one point that I would not marry a man in my future unless he played a lower brass instrument.

When I met Ryan my freshmen year of college, one of the 1st questions I asked was "Do you play any instruments." Although he was a drummer in high school...I later came to learn that he did, indeed play the Baritone before he was allowed to switch to the drums.

And that's when I knew I had met my Low-Brass-Playing-Love.



Oh my goodness....so I was googling a picture to insert into the blog. I typed "Low Brass Male"

And this picture came up on GOOGLE. Which happens to be my high school trombone instructor whom I took lessons from for 4 years every Wednesday at MSUM!! (who for 6 months of lessons thought my name was Marlys..my mom's name. I was too intimidated and shy to correct him. So I just answered to it!)

Crazy.

Comments

Congrats on the Telemetry position, that sounds great! :)

I love your first "love at first sight" experience haha. It makes me laugh. Especially the fact that your husband had to be a lower brass instrument player- I barely know what that means! It's great that Ryan was your first love :) Mine was not Eric (I dated someone for about 2 1/2 years in high school-1st two years of college) which is why I decided not to write about Snuggles instead. I mean Eric knows, and I know he had pretty serious girlfriends before me that I assume he loved at the time- but I figured he didn't need to read a whole post about it haha. :) Now we just love each other so thats all that matters hehe
Unknown said…
Congratulations!

LOVED the B flat major scale story. I have s many wonderful memories from IMC.

Incidentally, Paul is a trombone major, too!
Lisa's Yarns said…
Ha, that is funny. You were quite the band lover! IMC was great, though. I had many a crush there - I think the guy i had the biggest crush on was a trombone player, actually! Too funny!

That is so sweet/special that Ryan was your first love!
Marlys said…
Mr. Tesch! What memories that picture brings back - he looked like a grumpy old bear but was such a teddy bear in actuality! I often wonder what he's doing and if he's still at MSUM. I'm glad Ryan was a Baritone player before drums so he quailified for your credentials! You are too funny!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...

Pandemic Pregnancy

Dearest Sebastian,  This will be a more sobering letter, but I don't think I can write about my pregnancy without addressing the big elephant in the room.  I write this letter to you in grave hopes that by the time you're old enough to read these letters, COVID-19 is something you read about in your history books. However, by the time you're taking history classes, I am sure you won't have textbooks. I'm sure some robot will tell you about it.  I hope that you go to a busy, bustling school with activities, contact sports, and choir. (all things that currently don't exist). I hope you had a childhood where you could play tag. (currently banned). I hope you have school pictures where you are making faces at the camera that is not hidden behind a mask. But given the current state, your mama is not so sure what kind of world she is bringing you into. At this point, all I can tell you is that I promise your Dad and I will travel with you and make life as special as w...