Skip to main content

30 Blogs: A Place You Have Visited

This day of the challenge comes at a convenient time, as we visited a new place this previous weekend!

Bisbee, AZ


A little history....

Bisbee, AZ is an old mining town founded in 1880. It has been named one of the most lucrative mining towns (The Copper Queen Mine) in the WORLD, once producing more than 3 million oz of gold, and 8 billion pounds of copper. In addition, they also mined silver, zinc, & lead.

In the 1900's, Bisbee was one of the MOST "hopping" cities from San Francisco to El Paso -- filled with beautiful women and numerous Saloons.

The mine closed in the 1970's, and many of the employees moved elsewhere. However, the town remained his rich history and buildings have stayed strong. It is now a tourist town, populated with artsy "hippies".

Why did we chosse Bisbee.....
It's been kind of a crazy few months for us with lots of new life events going on. We wanted to just take a get-away together. However, with how erratic our schedules are -- and I am hesitant to plan anything ahead of time with my PRN job and OVH job starting...........

.....our trip had to be very list minute. So last Thursday evening at 8:30 pm, we booked our hotels for Friday & Saturday and decided to go somewhere different!

Where we stayed....

This was a trip unique to any trip we've ever been on! We stayed at very unique hotels. Friday night we stayed at "The Grand Hotel" -- which is a western-themed hotel. When we arrived, we checked in at the saloon with the bartender. She took us to our room and showed us how to work the showers, sinks, and hot-tub. Our room was decorated with John Wayne portraits.

We tried soaking in the hot-tub at the end of the evening, but we ran out of hot water. Hot water did not return by 7 am when I tried taking a shower.

Bur. Normally, I'd probably get frustrated with this. But, we laughed. It was kind of entertaining and the true labor of love. While I was in the shower, Ryan was warming up my towel with a blow dryer -- and I did the same for him. So we could get out of our ICE-COLD shower with a warm towel.

I was amused with the copper-statue staring over us while we slept....

The 2nd night we stayed at the "Jonquil Inn". This was more of a cottage-style destination. Also, very quaint & cute. Outside our room was a sweet little garden.

Things we did.....

-Went to the "Stock Exchage Bar" -- where they actually used to trade stocks back in the 1900's.
-Saw many cowboys.
-Saw some people walking through the stree barefoot
-Listened to a man & woman play Led Zeppelin on the flute & acoustic guitar....
-Toured the Queen Mine Tour (pictures below)
-Toured the "Bisbee Restoration Society" which artifacts & antiques from the 1800's, INCREDIBLE! (and I'm NOT an "antique person"
-Searched EVERY knick-knack/antique shop for a Foley Food fork....we were unsuccessful, sorry, Mom!
-Had a home cooked breakfast from the hotel owner on the patio
-Walked through the endless stairs and secret walkways embedded throughout the city
-Enjoyed each other's company
-Ate some good, hearty, delicious food!

Here are a few photos.....


The view of the city. Notice the "B" on the mountain. So, far since we've lived in AZ we have found A, B, & C mountain. Tucson has "A-Mountain" that is painted. C-Mountain is somewhere between here & California.

These walkways are ALL over the city. It's sometimes referred to as the "City of 10,000 stairs" - they even have a race!

I didn't like the metal, creaky stairs from 1920. Especially in my high-heeled boots...

The Saloon (or lobby, I guess).

One of the trains at the mine tour


Warming up by the fire after our mine tour! It was in the 40's down there!

Getting ready to go into the mine with our flashlights, coats, & hard hats!


This is the toilet they used. It even went on the track that ran throughout the mine. Can you imagine if 2 men had to go at the same time?.......Ish

One of the mine "chutes"

One of the random homes we walked by. I took this photo QUICKLY, for I fear the home-owner was hiding in the bushes dressed in flannel with his shot gun! (those are deer antler's surrounding the house...)

Anoter completely random place....

Bisbee was a cute, fun, enchanting little town! If you ever want to get away from civilization -- I recommend this place! You seriously feel like you're re-entering historic times. You walk through the town, and everyone greets you and strikes up conversation. It was a fun, sweet, and refreshing weekend! :)

Comments

Mama Nastase said…
Awesome pictures and an awesome recap of your weekend get-away!

What is a "foley fork"?
Amber said…
Looks awesome! I love weekends away like that.

Hilarious that you were warming up each others towels with the blowdryer! LOL
Jess said…
This place looks pretty neat!! And, it's always nice to get away. Sounds like you got a few good stories out of it too! Love the house picture...with the deer antlers!! Crazy...
What a cool get away! So glad you were able to get away for a bit. You have had a CRAZY fall.

Tom and I watched a documentary done by the history channel called, "The Story of US", so the story of the US. I think Ryan woudl like it! I didn't think I would but I really liked it. one of the episodes was about the gold boom. Kind of cool that I was learnign about it on Sat when you were staying at town where it all went down!
Marlys said…
I bet your Dad would like the documentary that Lisa mentioned! Lora - a foley food fork is a large spoon type utencil with fork tines for the spoon! My Mom & Grandma always had one and used it mainly to make gravy! They stopped making them a number of years ago and it has been a task for our family to search Flea Markets to find an original! They do make replications but they don't hold up like the Foley brand! Thanks for trying, Abby!
Cherry Blossoms said…
Love weekend getaways like this and exploring new places. Love how you guys warmed up the towels as well!
Unknown said…
Bisbee intrigues me. You saw so much in your short time there.

I can't tell you how many "antique" stores I have gleaned for foley food forks.

I have adapted to a flat whisk. Honestly, it is such a sacrifice!

I am glad you were able to get away for a little break.

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c