Monday, April 11, 2011

Dream House Chronicles: Living Room


The Living Room/Great Room of the Dream House.

My first thing I would like is for the living room to be attached to the kitchen. I often see people don't like this feature. One of my favorite things to do while watching a movie, is cook/work-away in the kitchen (I cannot sit and watch a movie...)

I also think the 2 connected is nice for entertaining.

Maybe a bar separating the two?


(http://www.tuscanyvillasredding.com/) I am assuming this kitchen bar looks out into the living room.

Another detail I am particular about is the flooring.

The home we were building have tile floors - since it just seems to be the best flooring material in Arizona. The dryness, the extreme heat, the sand .... tile works best.

However, our dreamhouse has wood floors. I'd prefer a darker flooring. Or something like this....


I have decided I definitely like the addition of a fireplace in the living room. It just adds a nice ambiance in the winter! My favorite type of fireplace is a stone one - like this:



I would keep our current living room furniture - because it's just right.

(love seat, ottoman, and full couch which didn't show up in this photo)

The Living room, although it is a room that gets a great deal of time spent in it, was difficult for me to pin-point my favorite features. I guess I'm more of a kitchen, shower, & backyard kind of person! ;)



5 comments:

qwerkyqook said...

Someday when I have a fire place I'll know I've really made it. Right now I should focus on moving out of the ghetto...I'll live vicariously through your home design :)

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Confession: I basically picked my condo because it has a fireplace. and then I have used it maybe 5 times in 6 years. Ha. But it does look nice and lends a 'cozy' feeling to the home.

I would want an open floor plan, too. People tend to congregate in the kitchen, so I think it should be a big room, extending into the living room/great room area. But I would also like a formal dining room...

B and B said...

A great room concept makes so much sense.
Nice!
This is so fun, Abby.

Marlys said...

I like the "great room" aspect, too! And my dream kitchen has to have a pantry - a big walk-in one! I love fireplaces!

Amber (Girl with the red hair) said...

When we get our next house in maybe like 5 or 6 years I definitely want more of an open house concept where the kitchen opens into the living room. Our dining room opens into the living room right now but the kitchen is kind of closed off but I do LOVE houses that have that opening!