Skip to main content

Rekindling an old "flame"

Back when I was about 17-18 years old, I thought my life as an adult would be consumed by playing music. I assumed my Sunday mornings would be spent accompanying the church choir.

Music was something I identified myself with. When I thought of "me"..music was something that came to mind.

Then I went to college, moved to Tucson, got married, became a nurse, started working........and now when I mention to someone I play a variety of instruments...they are very surprised. "You?!!?" 

It's really sad that it's become such a distant part of my life,  as prior to choosing to be a nurse - my 1st "major" in college was to be a music teacher.

I miss it. Whenever we go to a play, talk about going to a Tucson Symphony Orchestra concert, or when I listen to classical music..I almost always get a little teary/weepy eyed.

We happen to have an electric keyboard at home, which is something generously borrowed to me by a good friend of ours. But lately, its taken up space & collected dust.

The other day, I said to Ryan, "Let's just give that keyboard back to him. There's no sense in having it here." But Ryan objected stating he won't let me get rid of something I enjoy so much.

So....today I had the day off. I had plans of cleaning, organizing our new office, and other task-y things. Instead, I sat down and played!

It started out rocky (I haven't played since about October or November). All focus leaned on utter frustration that I just don't play like I once did....

And then I looked at the clock & realized an hour had gone by. My old songs were coming back to me.

I feel very relaxed and peaceful this evening. This may need to become more of a frequent ritual for me!

Comments

Unknown said…
“Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul.”
First off - when i saw this post title I thought - oh no, she had another encounter with a bbq grill! ;) Ha.

I miss playing piano so much. I loved living at DG because of that grand piano we had (among other things, I really did love that house). It is to soothing to play the piano. It's like running for me - my mind can go elsewhere.

Good for you for taking the tijme to do something relaxing!!
Marlys said…
I love the poem Barb posted! I think I shall memorize it! Music is the sound of angels - well most music that is! I long to retire and find time to play the piano again! Glad you made the time to do that! And do make the time to attend the symphony! Dad & I used to have season tickets for the FM symphony and they were the most exciting, relaxing nights I can remember! Even your Dad enjoyed them!
Xaarlin said…
Just found your blog and this post is so close to my heart.

I also majored in music in college. I played clarinet professionally in an orchestra for a few years but had to get a "real" job and haven't touched my instruments in 3 years. Can't bring myself to attend an orchesta concert either.

Glad to hear you played again. I'm sure it was enjoyable.
Cherry Blossoms said…
I had no idea you also now have to eat gluten free. Hope the transition is going well for you. I do suppose it helps that more and more food items are being made gluten free. If you have a Sprouts in Tucson they usually have their gluten free items on sale.

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c