In the defense of the desert rats, the ramifications are a little different here when it gets cold. We have constantly running pool pumps. We grow gardens year round. Our pipes are only a few feet under the ground. So if your pipes are not well-wrapped and insulated -- you will not be showering in the morning.
I am speaking from experience. 2 years ago, I was unaware of this side effect of Tucson's deep freezes and didn't get to take a shower in the morning due to frozen pipes.
So far, the only damage is a dead geranium plant and a frozen Tulsi Tea plant. I pray I can revive the Tulsi plant! Love my fresh tea.
So enough "cold" talk....let's talk about something hot! So I reveal my Cranberry Salsa Recipe today. Super easy, super delicious, super versatile! Great for winter cocktail parties (which we hosted and attenteded several this Christmas season).
I unfortunately don't have any pictures to share. My nice smart phone got a virus, so I have shitty old phone. So food pictures look pathetic and sad. Use your imagination ;)
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 anaheim peppers + 1 jalepeno (roasted) .....or you can you a small can of green chiles
- 1/2 cup Stevia in the raw (or sugar...but I made this healthy)
- 2 limes juiced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- S & P to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
Pour into a bowl, and add your chopped cilantro, green onions, and seasonings. Enjoy!
I have used this recipe several times lately in various ways. Here are a few varieties I've played with:
- Simple salsa - serve with tortilla chips.
- Bake a chunk of brie cheese - pour salsa over it. Cut slices and serve with crackers. (this is my favorite)
- Have softened cream cheese - and pour cran-salsa on top. Serve with crackers.
- Use as a spread on a chicken sandwich.
Hope everyone is having a warm and wonderful weekend. What are you doing to stay warm? I'm making beef stew and drinking a home-made latte right now...contemplating making a second one and adding a kick of baileys! ;)