Greek Yogurt. (G.Y.)
Lately with all this triathlon training - I have been putting many hours in the pool, bike, and running trails. Weight training and foam rolling in between. Although most of it is fun for me (especially the run, bike swim). Heck, swimming doesn't even feel like a workout to me since it's so fun and natural to me to swim (I've always been a fish). This high activity level cannot be achieved with out proper fuel!
Hmmm..."Fuel".... Isn't that how Lance Armstrong was such an awesome athlete? Success = fuel = supplements = Blood doping........
No. I don't even dabble in taking protein - I haven't found any protein that doesn't make my stomach feel queasy. The closest thing to a supplement I take is my B Complex vitamins and Calcium & Magnesium.
But by fuel, I mean proper calories to give me the energy to keep going (and going and going and going). Especially since there are days where I run 7 miles and then head to work for a 12 hour shift on my feet! I now will look at one of those mini-snickers bars in the "naughty drawer" at work, and say to myself, "Okay, I'm hungry -- but will this sustain me?" The answer is usually no.(Sometimes I cave and eat the chocolate, though. Candy = Abby's weakness)
So I've found a few tricks. One of the biggest tricks that I've come by - hence the whole subject line of this post is my non-fat, plain greek yogurt! I have found many things to add it to -- which gives an extra kick of protein. It's awesome! Also, if you want to make something creamy - greek yogurt (G.Y.) will do that for you as well.
Here it goes:
- The no-brainer - I eat it plain as yogurt for breakfast in the morning. I add 1/2 a banana, some berries, sprinkle some chia seeds, and oats on top. Delicious and fresh!
- Want to cool down your oatmeal? Is your oatmeal too dry? Add 2 spoonfuls G.Y. and stir.
- Vinegar just not doing it for your salad at lunch time? 2 Tbsp balsalmic vinegar, 1 tsp e.v.o.o., 1 Tbsp G.Y. - whisk away and enjoy! Creamy, vinegary, delicious. (This can be done also if you're making creamy coleslaw and you don't want to use mayonaise)
- Another salad - chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, apple cider vinegar + G.Y. + S & P, let sit over night - holy yum!
- Chicken Tortilla Soup or Chili need a little sour cream? Add a few spoonfuls of G.Y. - gives it the creaminess, you will not be able to tell it's yogurt! Same for making creamy enchiladas!
Yogurt is so good for you with the probiotics, calcium, etc. How do you eat your yogurt? I also like yogurt in the frozen manner, chocolate espresso flavored, with strawberries and oreos sprinkled on top. ;)