Skip to main content

Greek to me!

My initial disclaimer is that if the following information I'm about to post about is old news to you -- sorry. It's new news to me! And I'm pretty excited about it.

Greek Yogurt. (G.Y.)

Lately with all this triathlon training - I have been putting many hours in the pool, bike, and running trails. Weight training and foam rolling in between. Although most of it is fun for me (especially the run, bike swim). Heck, swimming doesn't even feel like a workout to me since it's so fun and natural to me to swim (I've always been a fish). This high activity level cannot be achieved with out proper fuel!

Hmmm..."Fuel".... Isn't that how Lance Armstrong was such an awesome athlete? Success = fuel = supplements = Blood doping........

No. I don't even dabble in taking protein - I haven't found any protein that doesn't make my stomach feel queasy. The closest thing to a supplement I take is my B Complex vitamins and Calcium & Magnesium.

But by fuel, I mean proper calories to give me the energy to keep going (and going and going and going). Especially since there are days where I run 7 miles and then head to work for a 12 hour shift on my feet! I now will look at one of those mini-snickers bars in the "naughty drawer" at work, and say to myself, "Okay, I'm hungry -- but will this sustain me?" The answer is usually no.(Sometimes I cave and eat the chocolate, though. Candy = Abby's weakness)

So I've found a few tricks. One of the biggest tricks that I've come by - hence the whole subject line of this post is my non-fat, plain greek yogurt! I have found many things to add it to -- which gives an extra kick of protein. It's awesome! Also, if you want to make something creamy - greek yogurt (G.Y.) will do that for you as well.

Here it goes:
  1. The no-brainer - I eat it plain as yogurt for breakfast in the morning. I add 1/2 a banana, some berries, sprinkle some chia seeds, and oats on top. Delicious and fresh!
  2. Want to cool down your oatmeal? Is your oatmeal too dry? Add 2 spoonfuls G.Y. and stir.
  3. Vinegar just not doing it for your salad at lunch time? 2 Tbsp balsalmic vinegar, 1 tsp e.v.o.o., 1 Tbsp G.Y. - whisk away and enjoy! Creamy, vinegary, delicious. (This can be done also if you're making creamy coleslaw and you don't want to use mayonaise)
  4. Another salad - chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, apple cider vinegar + G.Y. + S & P, let sit over night - holy yum!
  5. Chicken Tortilla Soup or Chili need a little sour cream? Add a few spoonfuls of G.Y. - gives it the creaminess, you will not be able to tell it's yogurt! Same for making creamy enchiladas!
(I will say that some people have complained that the consistency just doesn't seem right sometimes. The non-fat and lower fat will not have the best consistency, so the full fat G.Y. may be appropriate in certain instances!)

Yogurt is so good for you with the probiotics, calcium, etc. How do you eat your yogurt? I also like yogurt  in the frozen manner, chocolate espresso flavored, with strawberries and oreos sprinkled on top. ;)

Comments

Unknown said…
We mix a teaspoon with our serving of black beans. Yum!
Marlys said…
Great ideas! I don't care for Greek Yogurt solo, so these are great suggestions that I will try!
Lisa's Yarns said…
I am with mom and don't enjoy greek yogurt solo, I think because of the bitter taste or the thickness? But these are good suggestions for other uses. I did make a pasta salad last summer that called for greek yogurt for the dressing and it was SO good!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...

Pandemic Pregnancy

Dearest Sebastian,  This will be a more sobering letter, but I don't think I can write about my pregnancy without addressing the big elephant in the room.  I write this letter to you in grave hopes that by the time you're old enough to read these letters, COVID-19 is something you read about in your history books. However, by the time you're taking history classes, I am sure you won't have textbooks. I'm sure some robot will tell you about it.  I hope that you go to a busy, bustling school with activities, contact sports, and choir. (all things that currently don't exist). I hope you had a childhood where you could play tag. (currently banned). I hope you have school pictures where you are making faces at the camera that is not hidden behind a mask. But given the current state, your mama is not so sure what kind of world she is bringing you into. At this point, all I can tell you is that I promise your Dad and I will travel with you and make life as special as w...