Skip to main content

Spanish Missions, Bellinis, and Redneck Triathlons....

Almost 2 weeks down in San Antonio. It continues to grow on me. My travel nursing assignment has been....well, let's just say "Reality is not meeting Expectations". Due to some classes and paperwork that my agency wasn't aware the hospitals needed -- my contract is getting backed up a few weeks. Meaning I won't start my contract until July 8. Is it frustrating? Yes. Am I losing hair and sleep over this? You betcha. 

But I've done everything I can to have control over this situation, and there is nothing further I can do but wait. I'm losing my cool keeping a positive attitude. But let's just say I don't do well with free time. And I don't even have a house to clean! Just a hotel room. I actually clean after the cleaning service comes-- but most days I tell them I don't need their services. I don't like the way they clean or fold my towels.

What have I done to keep busy? I've channeled my inner "trophy wife" -- and cooked delicious breakfasts for Ryan (poached eggs with arugula, feta & tomato omelets....). I've made "No-bake" granola bars and protein balls. (We don't have an oven).  Many miles have been put on the running shoes and the road bike. (I AM SO GLAD I BROUGHT MY BIKE!)

So over the past week here are a few of the things I saw/tried out.......

  • Spanish Missions. If you ever come to San Antonio -- this is a must see! But I will recommend you not visit in June or July. It is uncomfortably hot and sticky. There are 5 - but due to it being 103 degrees and miserably humid - I only saw 3. Mission Concepcion, Mission San Juan, Mission San Jose. These missions were established in the 18th Century by the Franciscans for an outreach for the Spanish Govt and Catholic Church. 4 of the 5 still function as active parishes. They are free to visit, which is always a plus -- and each has a visitor center with tour guides who are very knowledgeable! Below I will share a few photos!
  • The San Antonio Greenway System. This is a trail system that goes throughout San Antonio. It's 1200 acres and goes MILES AND MILES. There are water fountains set up throughout the whole system, bathrooms, picnic areas, and it's mostly shaded by trees -- which is fantastic for these hot summer workouts. I will be doing a separate post on my review of the parks and trail systems....so stay tuned for that :-)
  • This school Ryan is all about the "word hard, play hard" policy. It's how they keep their sanity. Many long days of class, flying, and studying -- so taking advantage of any free time is huge. The other night after his test we went out for a celebratory happy hour. We tried a restaurant nearby called Pompeii Italian Grill. Their happy hour has $3 glasses of wine, bellinis, and draft beer. That is an insane deal! And their bellini was delicious! Paired with a plate of caprese....I was a happy wife. 
  • Red Neck Triathlon..........now it's time for a story. Yesterday I went road biking out in the countryside of San Antonio -- it was miles and miles of nothing but corn fields, cattle, and open air. About 15 miles down the road, I came through the main street of a town called Marion, TX. From a distance I saw a sign, and the only words made out was "Triathlon". My heart started racing with excitement! I started racing closer to find out more information. When I got close.....I was a tad disappointed (and nearly peeing myself in laughter ) -- the sign read: "REDNECK TRIATHLON JUNE 29 - BOWLING, SKEET SHOOTING, AND BEER PONG". Not exactly my type of tri......
I hope this finds everyone having a good weekend.  We plan on checking out the Japenese Tea Gardens, doing some road biking, and going to the Alama Drafthouse (movie theater/brewery.....amazing!). So it should be full of more fun and adventure.

 Mission San Jose -- this was probably my favorite - they actually had the living quarters where the Franciscans would live.
 Alter of the Mission Concepcion. These statues were apparently dated to the 1700's -- they are structured from corn husks and plaster. Beautiful
 Franciscan gardens and living quarters...
 Inside Mission San Jose
 Mission Concepcion. The door is called a "key hole feature" -- which is a Spanish architectural staple. The keyhole has not only beauty, but theological meaning....

Mission San Jose - I was not able to go into this one because it is an active mission and they were in prayer at that time.


Comments

Lisa's Yarns said…
Wow, those missions are beautiful! I am glad you are making the most of your free time down there. I know it is tough to not be working when you want to, though... There can be such a think as too much free time! Sounds like San Antonio is a cool place, though! I am anxious to see pictures of the Japanese Tea Gardens as I have heard they are beautiful!
Marlys said…
I missed this post but so glad I checked it out! Beautiful pictures! It's amazing how well those missions have survived all these years! I can feel the serenity and peace just seeing the photos! Keep posting!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...

Pandemic Pregnancy

Dearest Sebastian,  This will be a more sobering letter, but I don't think I can write about my pregnancy without addressing the big elephant in the room.  I write this letter to you in grave hopes that by the time you're old enough to read these letters, COVID-19 is something you read about in your history books. However, by the time you're taking history classes, I am sure you won't have textbooks. I'm sure some robot will tell you about it.  I hope that you go to a busy, bustling school with activities, contact sports, and choir. (all things that currently don't exist). I hope you had a childhood where you could play tag. (currently banned). I hope you have school pictures where you are making faces at the camera that is not hidden behind a mask. But given the current state, your mama is not so sure what kind of world she is bringing you into. At this point, all I can tell you is that I promise your Dad and I will travel with you and make life as special as w...