Skip to main content

Grown-Up Friends

Remember making friends as a child? "Hi, I like your shoes". "Thanks, I have more shoes at home. Want to be my friend?"

Done.

Now, childhood friendships typically aren't the most deep and don't tend to last. As they aren't formed out off of bonds of similarity. But, dang it was easy to make friends!

Then we fast-forward to college. So easy! "You're a nursing major? Me too! Want to study together? After our test Thursday, want to celebrate with margaritas?"

I never really had to try to make friends in my younger years. I'm typically outgoing, so tend to meet people with ease.

Then you graduate from school, enter the real world, and suddenly you have to try. How I accumulated such an amazing group of friends in Tucson is very fortunate. For the most part they are family-like-friends I'm made through work. The other half of my social network is my "Desert Tri Girls" -- as you tend to form a bond when you spend 3 hours on a road bike next to someone, or run with them 4 days a week at 0430.

Temporarily living in a new city, I knew that I probably wouldn't make friends. But I was told, "Oh, you'll be living on an Air Force Base, the network there is incredible."

Well, I am here to say that is not true. The military spouses are civil and kind to each other -- but let's be honest, the only thing we have in common is our husbands are going through the same program.

The women at work are hesitant to accept me, as I'm young and I'm a "traveler nurse". When they ask what I do for fun, they roll their eyes when I say like to run, bike, and be outdoors. So I change my strategy and say, "I love cooking and gardening". Eye rolls, again. The resistance is most likely because I'm an "outsider", and not an employee of the hospital....

The other roadblock I've met in my age group is, "Oh, you don't have children?...**cricket**"   No potential play-dates there. I often make jokes with my friends in Tucson that Ryan and I should see if you can "rent a child" to bring to BBQ's, so you can truly fit in. Our friends graciously offer that we can borrow one of theirs. ;)

Finances can be a road block as well. We have friends who's idea of "dinner out" needs to involve fine dining and a $200 bill. We've had a hard time figuring out if they just trying to make an impression on others or it's that truly their lifestyles. Either way, we can only do something social with them semi-annually as we like to budget our entertainment.(If I'm going to spend $200 on an evening out, I prefer to be entertained...not just full)

Although I'm sort of rambling here, my point is that I've found it kind of challenging to make friends as an adult. I'm becoming re-introduced to that reality as we move to a new city. So many new factors come into play -- career, children, husbands, hobbies, finances, etc. Especially in our world -- where you don't talk to your neighbors. Then I wonder -- Is it me? I'd like to think it's not, as I do have a wonderful support network in Tucson.

Have you found it difficult to make friends in your adult years? Has it come easily? Do you find that living in certain climates/cities makes it easier? (For example, I feel like it's easier in Tucson with all the mountains/outdoors because you can say "lets go for a hike", or "You have a bike? Let's go road biking Saturday morning!)




Comments

Lisa's Yarns said…
There was actually a great article on this in the NYT awhile ago. It focused on your 30s and how difficult it is to make friends after college because you don't have these big life events, like college, to bring you together. And then when you are married, you have to find a couple you are both friends with. I have had a pretty hard time making friends in Charlotte, mostly because people are very established in their lives by the time they enter their 30s. They probably barely have time to see the friends they do have, so why would they want to add another person to the fold? I have made some friends, but I have just had to accept that I am going to have a lot more alone time. Earlier in my career I made friends at work, but now my co-workers are older and have families and busy lives and honestly? We spend 50-60 hours together so I am not really gung ho about spending time with them outside of work...

I am glad you'll be able to return to your network of friends in Tucson eventually. And hopefully I will be back in Minneapolis in the next year or so, too!
Marlys said…
I, too, have to agree that it is hard to make friends when you are an adult. I don't let it bother me anymore as my very best friend in the whole world is Paul. And then there is always family, so I don't feel lonely. Finding people with common interests is very difficult in a small town of less than 500, too! There just aren't many I want to spend time with!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...

Pandemic Pregnancy

Dearest Sebastian,  This will be a more sobering letter, but I don't think I can write about my pregnancy without addressing the big elephant in the room.  I write this letter to you in grave hopes that by the time you're old enough to read these letters, COVID-19 is something you read about in your history books. However, by the time you're taking history classes, I am sure you won't have textbooks. I'm sure some robot will tell you about it.  I hope that you go to a busy, bustling school with activities, contact sports, and choir. (all things that currently don't exist). I hope you had a childhood where you could play tag. (currently banned). I hope you have school pictures where you are making faces at the camera that is not hidden behind a mask. But given the current state, your mama is not so sure what kind of world she is bringing you into. At this point, all I can tell you is that I promise your Dad and I will travel with you and make life as special as w...