Skip to main content

A Healthy and Balanced Weekend brings me smiles.

Looking back on the whirlwind of a weekend, I am feeling pleased. We didn't make any plans this weekend, as Ryan has his check ride coming up (this is basically a "test" where he flies, and the instructor critiques him, and if he makes any big mistakes he fails and gets set home...No pressure!). So we had to make sure a good chunk of study time was set aside each day.

So here's my break down of what we did (again, this is my little dream that newby to SA will stumble upon this blog and find out some neat spots in the area!)

Noteworthy food we enjoyed
  • Friday night after I got off work, we tried out a placed called "The Lion and the Rose Pub". This is an Irish/English eatery. I would almost consider it a gastropub, because it had a few pieces on the menu that were a little different. Like the Curry Hummus. Ryan got the "Tour of Britain" which had sheppards pie, parmesan broiled tomatoes, bangers sausage, and a filet of fish. It was a ridiculous amount of food! Neat way to try a little of everything! Washed our meals down with a crisp IPA. (I had the Club Sandwich. I'm kind of boring sometimes)
  • We indulged Saturday morning after our run at Starbucks (so Ryan could study) in some Skinny Vanilla lattes. I had the bright idea to add an extra shot of espresso. I'm not the kind of girl that needs an extra shot of espresso. But they were thoroughly enjoyed.
  • Since most all our meals were enjoyed out this weekend, I slow cooked a Shredded BBQ Chicken wraps, served up with Broccoli Slaw. It was a keeper of a recipe!
Fun things we did
  • After studying Saturday morning, we did a little window shopping in an area called Stone Oak Village Shopping Center. It's the most picturesque area. The Starbucks is shaped like The Alamo, too. (below is a photo from the area)
  • We hit up a library in the area, and spent time researching our trip to Europe next year! So many options....(and Ryan studied some more)
  • From the library, we headed to Massage Envy for our monthly massages. Last year for our anniversary we bought memberships, and it was one of the best purchases!  
  • Went to the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema (the movie theater that serves drinks and food) and saw "We Are the Millers". I have to say it was hilarious! I laughed until I had tears at points.


Workouts
  • Yesterday we ran here at Randolph Airforce Base (where we reside). They have a really cool running path that goes through the golf course, and then around the flight line. It actually goes 10 miles total. It's pretty fun to run on during the week, because you can watch the T-38 jets taking off. Quite a majestic site!
  • Our run consisted of a 4 miles out loop. The 1st 2 miles out, we took a moderate pace. On our 2 miles back, we would sprint 40 seconds, jog 20 sec, sprint 30 sec, jog 10 sec - and repeated that until we hit our cooldown at 3.5 miles. It kicked our butts, but helped make the run go faster!
  • Today I did another speed workout on the track. 1 mile warm-up, 400 sprint/400 jog x3, 200 spint/200 jog x 6. Total miles = 4 miles! It's easier for me to do speed workouts when it's hot out for some reasons. Keeps my mind off how hot and miserable I feel.
  • We were supposed to do 20 miles on the bike tonight - but decided to veg out, eat skittles (I blame the 30 minute wait in line @ the self check out today to urge me to make an impulse purchase) , and watch tv instead. No regrets! Sometimes you have to eat skittles and put your feet up.
In addition to the fun - I had a big chunk of time today to do laundry, grocery shop, and cut up fresh fruit and vegetables for the upcoming week! I have such a love for weekends like this that just restore your balance. It leaves me feeling refreshed and happy.

What brought smiles to your face this weekend?



Comments

Sounds like a wonderful weekend and just what you guys needed! It's nice to have time on the weekend to cut up fruits and veggies so you are all ready for the week!

I am totally a triple grande skinny vanilla latte kind of girl. I only get one once a week, which is good as that extra shot of espresso pushed the drink to above $5! But it's so worth it for my Friday indulgence.

Spending time with Heidi brought a smile to my face this weekend. As you know, I am really not having such a great summer, so having her here was great. She gave me a big hug and let me cry after my dr appointment and then kept me busy and distracted for the rest of the weekend.
Marlys said…
That was a healthy well balanced weekend! I'm sure Ryan is really stressed out about this flight, but with his determination and hard work, I'm sure he will do just fine, maybe just "great"!
Marlys said…
And I love the dress you are wearing in that picture!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c