Skip to main content

Final Decision

Well, if you read my blog 2 posts ago , you would have found out that I'm accompanying Ryan on the next move to California.

That has since changed.

I'm going to be honest and say that I really feel at peace with my decision. For if life has taught me anything over the years, if you're going to make a decision, do it with all your heart and don't look back! 

Why the sudden change?

I learned that finding an apartment that offers a 5 month lease is nearly impossible. I researched about 12 different apartment complexes in the area, narrowed it down to 5 in the Riverside area that didn't worry me that I'd get shot while walking out to my car at night. (Riverside has some shady areas...)

I finally found one place that offered a 5 month lease, as they try to cater to military residents.

But here's what almost made me laugh. When I asked if they offer furnished apartments, they said "Yes, but your problem will be that we only rent out furniture for 3, 6, 9, or 12 month leases."

So I moved to Plan B. I decided to suck it up and live with Ryan in a hotel on base again (like we have done these past 4 months). I called the Air Force Inn that's at March AFB. Not only do they not have a kitchen, but you have to share a bathroom with other guests.

That was my breaking point. I can "white trash it" for a few months. A crock pot can be my main cooking appliance. I can use a pantry as a closet. I can live in a room that barely has a window - that is so dark that a day in the room could drive a person to a deep depression....

But I cannot share a bathroom with random other airmen. That was my cutoff. Ryan was in complete agreement with me. That's just fricking weird.

So we have decided to go with "safe" (instead of adventure). I will stay at our home in Tucson, while Ryan lives in Riverside and finishes up pilot training. It's only 5 months. And LA is only a 6 hour drive! It's a 1 hour flight. We will try to see each other every other weekend.

The obvious con in this situation is living apart from Ryan for 5 months. He's my soul mate, my best friend, and life isn't very fun without him. But we are strong, and will make this work!

The pro's are:
  • a job I love
  • a great group of friends that will be there for me every step of the way
  • my runnning/triathlon group to run and bike with
  • our house will be safe under my supervision
  • biweekly trips to California!! (Well sometimes Ryan will be coming my direction, too) 
  • Ryan will be able to put his 110% into this training during the week when I'm not there

So now I am just savoring each moment that we have together. Life is about to change again! But I'm okay with it.  Isn't it always changing?

I promise this should be the last 'life changer"/"life decision" post for awhile! I will return to decorating this blog with rants, recipes, and running. But it's been hard to think about those things lately, when such big changes are coming up! 


Comments

Marlys said…
Well, it would be not be glib to say that your life lately has been very interesting! I am all for you living together, but under those circumstances, it would be awful! You will make it work and seeing each other every couple of weeks will help so much! Will he have a roommate or will you stay at the motel he's in when you visit? Hang in there!
I totally support you in this decision. I am glad that you were able to join him in San Antonio but it sounds like staying in Tucson is the right decision for you. Living in a hotel room like that for 5 more months would have been so so hard. And sharing a bathroom? Uh uh. Not happening. I hope that the 5 months go by fast. I am glad that you will be able to see each other every other weekend and hopefully things like facetime will bridge the gap. If you get tired of holding your phones using facetime, I highly recommend Google's hangout video chat. You just need a webcam so if you both have computers that is a good option as well. If you don't have a webcam, they are only $25 at best buy and it was the best investment I made when I purchased mine years ago as that is how i keep in touch with a lot of my blog friends who live far away.

I will be praying for you guys! I know you can do it!! And it will be SO GREAT to be runited!!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for