Skip to main content

30 Days of Gratititude

Well, it's taking me longer than 30 days, as my consistency in blogging has been horrible since I've been home! It's been really busy and I've been in a constant mode of go-go-go! All good things, but I will admit that I'm having a deep longing to just hole up in my house and be a recluse for a day.

All this business has me feeling extremely grateful, which is a great theme to get me ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Let me pick up where I left off with this "30 Days of Gratitude"

I'm lucky that I'm smart enough to figure out how to.....use critical thinking in my job. It's something they try to teach you in college, but I think it mostly comes with experience. My time in the ER has really built that. I've reached the point where I feel like I can look at a patient, anticipate what's going to happen and just how sick they are within the first 20 seconds in the room.

In this moment, what I love most about my friends are..... I just had a conversation with one of my friends about this yesterday, actually. The circle of friends that I've really found over the past few years is a group of women that build me up, make me happy, laugh, we support each other, we are honest with each other. If my friends think I'm making a poor decision, they will not hesitate to give me their advice. It's really comforting to have a good group of friends, being I live so far away from family.

I'm grateful that my hands....can knead bread. Fresh, homemade bread just warms my soul. And the kneading process is therapeutic!

The prettiest thing I saw today is....the sunrise that is occuring right now. It is just starting to peak over the mountain - and it's just gorgeous.

When I look in the mirror, I'm grateful for the fact that....I grew up in a family that was fortunate enough to get braces for me when I was in junior high. I had vampire incisors. To this day, I frequently get compliments about my straight teeth. Thanks, Mom and Dad!

Three of my most prized possessions are....1) My wedding ring. 2) My amethyst rosary that I got as a confirmation gift. 3) My box of letters/cards. It has many handwritten letters I've received over the years from my Mom, my Grandma, my husband (when we lived apart last year). I even have the 12 "thank you notes" my husband used when he proposed to me. There is something so precious about a person's handwriting. When I'm homesick of having a rough time, I go through this shoebox and it warms my soul.

I'm grateful that my eyes....can see. That's pretty obvious, but so true. There is so much beauty around us, I simply cannot fathom a world of darkness.

The things I would never change about myself....1) My sense of humor. It gets me through the day, especially in my job as an ER nurse, where sometimes you can do nothing but laugh. 2) My motivation and passion for exercise. I know for some people exercising is a laborous chore they dread. For me it's something I look forward to and get excited about. Makes staying healthy a little easier! 3) My sense of calm.

What are you grateful for this week? What would you never change about yourself? What are your most prized possessions?

Comments

This week I am grateful for the fact that the weather has cooled off at night so I can sleep with my patio door open. I even liked it when it got down to 28 at night on Saturday. I don't know of anyone else that liked that here, though!

When I did this post I forgot one of my prized possessions - my piano. Since it's being taken care of by my former boss in Mpls, I sometimes I forget I own a piano, but hopefully we'll be reunited some day.

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for