I cannot believe we are already into the new year. 2013 went so fast. When I look back, it doesn't feel like I'm reviewing a year - but recent events that were just experienced "the other day", as we often say.
At the same time, however, so much has happened this year that at times I feel like a completely different person.
I thought about doing a "Top 10" list...but I'm not sure if I can quantify levels of joy. There were so many big events in 2013, some that were big game-changers for me that deserve to make this list. So here is a list of a few of my favorite things in 2013.
- Being separated from my husband for 6 weeks, and not being able to communicate via text/phone/email.... "What?!?! Is she crazy?!", some may say. That 1st experience was so good for us. For the 1st time in our relationship, information wasn't a quick text or phone call away. I learned to value the 5 min phone calls he was allowed while at officer school. .
- Meeting a new group of running buddies, and joining a group called the "Desert Tri Girls". It is such a fun, positive group of inspiring women who have impacted my life.
- My trip to Montgomery, AL to see Ryan get commissioned as an officer.
- Getting a visit from my Mom and Dad in March. I had so much fun showing them Tucson and spending some 1:1 time with them.
- Making an impromptu trip home for Easter - got to see all of my siblings! Only person missing my husband from the whole gang!
- Learning how to truly ride a bike and re-learning how to swim again! These are 2 sports are so much fun and I look forward to reuniting with them in February in preparation for Tri Season!
- Completing my 1st Sprint Triathlon.
- Completing my 1st Ragnar Race - a 202 mile, 36-hr running relay race with 12 amazing, fun, crazy women.
- Learning that the things I found joyful in life, aren't quite as joyful when I don't get to share them with my husband. It's good to learn these things early in life!
- Reuniting with Ryan after not seeing each other in 3 months and taking a trip to San Diego (one of my favorite cities ever!)
- Spending a day Paddle Boarding and devouring fresh fish tacos in the San Diego Bay. Tops best days in 2013!
- Moving to San Antonio, TX for 4 months, living somewhere completely new in a hotel. It was challenging, but provided us with some good memories and stories!
- Getting to escape god-awful San Antonio for 3 days on a weekend excursion to Austin, TX! I adore Austin.
- Seeing my husband get his pilot wings in October!
- My travel nursing experience in trenches of the ER's in SA. It lit the fire under my ass to make a career change.
- My career change that kind of ended the year (my start day was 12/1). I am absolutely loving Case Management. It's a huge change -- however, it's challenging and I so enjoy what I'm doing. It's so nice to look forward to going to work!
- Our entire Christmas season was awesome. We went to parties pretty much every weekend night of the month and just really embraced the season! I'm relieved to have it behind us (so we can relax a little) -- but it was a joyful way to end the year!