Skip to main content

My Last Marathon!

Well, I finished!

Now is the time where it is common for marathon runners to experience a phenomenon called the "Post Marathon Blues". (It's funny how many emotions occur around marathon training, that mirror the emotions that go into having a baby. ie:
  • nesting pre baby/cleaning like crazy to burn off the taper-energy 
  • Being super emotional before the race. I cried the day before the race over nothing, and I haven't cried in like 6 months!
  • Not sleeping well.
  • Post-Race-Blues/Baby-Blues
In NO WAY am I comparing doing a marathon to having a baby. So please, do not misunderstand me. Having a baby = way more intense, strenuous, life-changing, emotional, ect. I just think it's interesting how some of the behaviors mirror.

Anyways.

I do not have the "Post-Marathon-Blues". In fact, I am kicking my heels in a fit of joy. Well, I would be, but I'm a bit too sore to move in that fashion. As my previous posts explained, I did not train like I should have for this race. I only did one 20 miler, and believe me it showed when I hit mile 20 on Sunday!

I am so happy to have this behind me. I am also happy I did it! I'm happy I got it out of my system. Training for a marathon in 2010, and not getting to run it because of an a-hole boss really put a dent on my psyche. I had to prove myself I could do another 26.2. Now it is out of my system.

To be honest, I'm being a bit hard on myself. The last 5 miles I "raced" in the run/walk fashion - and I've really spent a lot of time beating myself up over that. But that needs to stop.

Last time I ran a marathon was in 2007 and I finished just under 5 hours. Sunday my official time was 4:14:10. Here is a little breakdown of Sunday:

Mile 1-14: I was booking it. I was about an 8:20/mi pace for the 1st 10 miles, and I felt as I was holding back. So I thought, "Alright! I'm going to hit my goal!" I felt so strong, so smooth, and I was having so much fun.

Mile 14.2: Suddenly I could not bear any weight on my right knee. It was a struggle to hobble over the to the curb (especially with hundreds of runners that I needed to dodge). I got to the curb, stretched out my hips & quads, and managed to keep going. (definitely my IT Band)

Mile 14.5-18: The knee pain wore off. Which scared me, because adrenaline can sometimes trick you into thinking you're "okay". However, my pace took a hit. I was now running 9:00/mi as my average. But at this point, I didn't care. I still hadn't seen the 4-hour pacing group.

Mile 18: I saw one of the girls in my DTG Training Group laying on the ground with medics all around her starting IV's and getting EKG's set up. The only reason I didn't stop is because there were several professional's helping, and another team-mate was on the phone w/ her husband. But now worry set in - praying she was okay. (She is okay, by the way)

Mile 20: I told Ryan I'd shoot him a text @ this marker, so he'd know when to head to the finish line. I snapped this fake-happy photo.

Mile 21-26: The pain set in. Every muscle in my body hurt, and I felt like I had absolutely nothing to give. They didn't hand out any gels during this entire race (which really pissed me off, because I would have packed my own, had I known this. They advertised they would at miles 10 & 17 - but didn't). So I was literally running on empty (my toast & PB from 5 am had worn off by this point. Ha!) My text to Ryan sad, "Dying. Walking. Can't do this." -- but he quickly responded with positive words to keep me going!

I started praying at this point. Asking God to give me the strength to push me through this. I started praying about people who have endured much tougher battles than this silly marathon. And I think he sent me an angel at this point.

A man came up next to me and said, "Come on! You've got this. Jog nice and easy with me, and we can walk at the end of the bridge." I said nothing...I just followed instructions. He and I did this side by side for the rest of the race. He was from St Louis, MO - I don't remember his name. But I am calling this stranger my angel - as I don't think I'd have finished if it weren't for him!

Finally, I could see the finish line - my pace picked up - and I was so unbelievably relieved!

 
 

2 days post-race, and actually feel really good! No more sore knees, my muscles aren't even that sore! I am really surprised by this. From here on out -- I will stick to halfs, 10K's, triathlons. Happy I got to do it though! It was a super fun weekend - and I got some quality time with Ryan! Feeling satisfied and thankful..........
 

Comments

Amber said…
Congratulations on your last marathon! Sorry to hear it was such a struggle for you. I felt like that a lot during the Portland marathon but I had SO MUCH FUN running the Chicago marathon that I know I will do more, but probably just slower. I find the slower I run the more fun I have and the less I hurt!
I definitely think you should cut yourself some slack and not be hard on your because you did run a strong race and it was a huge PR. That sucks about the gels. I would have died as I seem to need them every 4-6 miles! So doing a whole marathon without them would have resulted in me crashing.

I am glad you finished the race strong and had an angel there to help you. And it's great that you are not very sore!!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c