Skip to main content

Year 26

Well, I'm another year older! I have to admit that I feel much older than 26. Not physically, but my spirit does. I recently read a blog post about "Problems of a 20-something" - and I don't think I could relate to a single one on the list. Much of it was in relation to being broke, hung over, weird roommates, having a difficult time adjusting to the "real world's" early mornings. I haven't really faced any of those problems.

  • I like mornings. I enjoy being up before the sun - there is something exciting about it in feeling like I'm getting "bonus hours"
  • I don't like staying out past 10 ... because I'll be waking up before the sunrise.
  • I don't ask my parents for money.
  • Budgeting is fun! It's like a challenge every month to see how "below" the cap we can get on various categories.
  • I don't like going to bars, because the music is too loud, and then I can't hear what anyone is saying - so end up just smiling and nodding my head the entire evening - and then people think I'm incompetent.
To be honest, I dreaded going to work on my birthday, and having to be asked the dreaded questions of "So how many years is it today?" . In fact, I shocked many co-workers. I'll be honest, I have lied about my age. Except not like most women (who lie to make themselves younger). I have lied and made myself older, so people take me seriously. As soon as they hear twenty - many automatically put me in the same category as a Miley-Cyrus-loving-bar-hopping-kid.

I was literally the receiving end of comments like this on my birthday: "Oh God, my son could be your father!" or "Oh my....you're a child!" Being called a child is not the most uplifting words to hear in your professional career. But, I've been the receiving end of it in the past, and I've learned to just rise above it and prove them wrong!

On the flip side of my dread....I had the most uplifting, joy-filled day. I had a hard time getting anything accomplished that day due to all the visits from various friends who were delivering hugs, kind words, flowers, bottles of wine, gifts, phone calls, texts......it was kind of humbling. I am so incredibly blessed to have so many loving & supportive people in my life!

I will say it was quite a simple evenings, which was exactly what I wanted. I came home, had a glass of wine, some







Comments

Lisa's Yarns said…
I definitely didn't relate to the problems of other twenty-somethings when I was your age. The bar scene was never and has never been my thing. And I don't like to stay up late either because it throws my whole weekend off!

I am glad that you had a special birthday! It sounds like a wonderful day and I am glad you felt surrounded by love, especially since Ryan was not there to help celebrate. I can relate to the challenges of people thinking you are young. There are a lot of young people in my industry as wall street heavily recruits out of undergrad and grad school programs, but the clients are not young so being a woman + looking youngish means I REALLY have to prove myself.
Marlys said…
I think your choice of life style is much better than your "twenty-something" counterparts! It is always best to forge your own lifestyle especially when it is a healthy one!
It sounds like your birthday was a perfect one and that makes me so happy! Love you!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...

Pandemic Pregnancy

Dearest Sebastian,  This will be a more sobering letter, but I don't think I can write about my pregnancy without addressing the big elephant in the room.  I write this letter to you in grave hopes that by the time you're old enough to read these letters, COVID-19 is something you read about in your history books. However, by the time you're taking history classes, I am sure you won't have textbooks. I'm sure some robot will tell you about it.  I hope that you go to a busy, bustling school with activities, contact sports, and choir. (all things that currently don't exist). I hope you had a childhood where you could play tag. (currently banned). I hope you have school pictures where you are making faces at the camera that is not hidden behind a mask. But given the current state, your mama is not so sure what kind of world she is bringing you into. At this point, all I can tell you is that I promise your Dad and I will travel with you and make life as special as w...