Skip to main content

Holy Moly Mud Run 10K: Facing my fears

You may not know this about me (or believe this about me) - but I am a big-time "scaredy cat".

I don't do diving boards, I don't do heights, ever sports stadiums make me a little weary.....

I never climb anything. I'm too scared of falling.

So I'm not really sure what I was thinking signing up for an obstacle run. Especially the 10K, where I have to do it twice.

12 foot walls had to be climbed up and jumped down from 24 times.
We had to climb a 30 foot wall using ropes.
There was this rope-net that was 20 feet above the ground that we had to spider climb across.
We had to climb this other "rope" ladder thing about 20 feet into the air....and then slide down a pole.
We army crawled through tunnels under roads (that had fake snakes in them)
We army crawled through mud, mud, and more mud....

The only obstacle I couldn't do was crossing monkey bars. My hands were too wet, and I kept slipping. And lets just be honest...I can't cross monkey bars.

Never could. Even has a child.

But I did it! I ran it with 2 girls from my Desert Tri Girl group...and we wanted to take the top 3 for women's. And I couldn't let them down. So I pressed on!

Results?

I had a blast! It was kind of empowering to face my fear of heights and falling. Also this race was a huge step out of my comfort zone. I don't like getting dirty.

Another bonus? My husband & I won $75! He took 1st in the 5K overall! (stud)

Some interesting wounds were obtained from this race. Bruises, scrapes, cuts, ear infections..... good battle wounds, right?

My 2 training partners and I crossed the finish line in a pyramid - because none of us wanted to be 1st, 2nd, 3rd. So we crossed as one!

Here are a few photos!

Here's a "clean" photo of me! 
 
We paused to pose for the camera! Totally worth it!
 
This slide was right before the finish line. You had to climb a wall, swim across any icy pool of mud, and then slide down into a pit of mud. The slide gave me quite the abrasion to my bottom side. Very painful!
 
 
And the results of the slide! Can you see the pain I am feeling? (I'm on the far right)
 
And, finally, the happy, muddy couple. Christmas card picture? My mother would be so proud of the lady she raised. Right, Mom? ;)
 
 
 
 
This was just crazy silly fun! I never thought I'd like it. It just reminded me that stepping out of your comfort zone is almost always a good thing! Have you stepped out of your comfort zone lately in an aspect of your life? Faced some fears? Didn't it feel good? (after the fact)

Comments

Lisa's Yarns said…
I am glad you had so much fun doing this race as I know you were apprehensive going into it. Even though I read about how much fun you had, this is still a category of races that I am going to leave to you because I am a wimp so wouldn't be able to do those obstacles and I seriously seriously seriously couldn't handle being covered in mud!!

Something scary that I did many years ago was go bungee jumping. I was terrified to do this but am so glad I did as it was an awesome experience and I would totally do it again.
Marlys said…
Just the thought of you crawling in mud makes me nauseated but it looks like you had a great time, and I am amazed that you could do that obstacle course! I'm glad you had fun and hope the $75.00 win helped toward your medical bill! Ha ha! Should this be your Christmas picture? Well, maybe in a collage of pictures for the year? You are one crazy girl!
Emilie said…
Facing fears is so empowering! I feel like a scaredy cat a lot - you're not alone! Way to go. I honestly can't even think of the last time I purposely went out of my way to conquer a fear of mine. You've inspired me to do so!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Let's try this again...

Last year we purchased soil, mulch, and all these plants that grow great in well-watered, rich-soiled areas. Then we went away for a weekend, and everything dried up like a prune. I was a bit disappointmented, as gardening is a hobby & passion of mine. In fact, I became quite frustrated with our hot climate. But we did some research on desert plants, and I found a new love! Desert plants are quite fascinating, actually. Their tough outer skin & small leaves result in maximum absorbtion of our spare water -- allowing them to thrive on little. They are also extremely regenerative. You can cut a branch or an arm off a cactus, and plant it in the ground somewhere else to create a new plant. So we found a very local cactus nursery last weekend, and got to work! Here are a few of the gems we planted. (These are pictures I've found offline, as I haven't taken proper pictures of our front yard yet due to the immaturity of our plants at this point) The Desert Barrel ...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...