Skip to main content

Sabino Canyon to Mount Lemmon. Can we call ourselves "mountaineers"?!

The Southwest is heating up fast. There are few "less than 100 degree" days left (until about October). Therefore, it feels like a "race against time" for those who love to enjoy the outdoors.

You can still enjoy the outdoors in the dead of summer. But it gets challenging.....

Ryan and I both had Friday off - and instead of doing a bathroom renovation project (that we had planned on). We played "hooky" on ourselves, and went for a long hike! It was only a high of 86 F.

The goal of this hike was to reach "Hutch's Pool". Which is a year-round natural body of water that is up in the mountains of the Santa Catalina's (in Tucson, AZ). There are supposed to be other waterfalls along the way. However, due to Tucson's drought - that was not the case. We saw a lot of dried up "waterfalls".

Sad day.

The hike was 16 miles round trip. It took us a little over 6 hours to complete. We averaged about 20-25 minutes/mile. This was no "walk in the park". This hike was insanely steep. Like 45 degree incline at all times. There was maybe 3 miles of respite total.

We did not quite make it to Hutch's Pool this time, unfortunately. It was getting hot, and we didn't want to run out of drinking water.

But, it was well worth it, and we still a wonderful hike. I'm going to be honest and say this makes the Top 3 Hardest workouts I've ever done! (and I'm counting my 3 marathons) I think going 6 hours straight, and the relentless incline (and then decline on the way down) got me! Mentally and physically. By mile 14, I really started losing agility due to shaking legs - which made scaling down a mountain tricky.

Oh, and we ran out of water by mile 14, too. Which is kind of expected. It got quite hot.

The neatest part of this hike was that we went from seeing Saguaro cacti to pine trees. We actually crossed over a mountain range. Hence my title, "Can we call ourselves mountaineers"?! (In all honesty, we can't - because we followed a trail. Not quite mountaineer material yet)

We did good about taking photos during the 1st 6 miles, and then kind of stopped after that due to time constraints.

Here are a few:

Here is the most perfect saguaro in bloom. A little fact - it takes on average 100 yrs for each arm to grow. So that's an old one!


 
Here is a close-up of the flowers in bloom. They only do this once annually. So it's pretty cool we got experience this!
 
Me scaling down. As you can see, it was such a steep grade doing down, that I had to lean back to keep balance.

 
This was about the 7 mile point. This is now "high altitude desert" - there are no cacti, just sage and brush. I felt on top of the world here!
 
Happy and sweaty couple!
 

 
This was such a fun challenge - and I look forward to doing more of these! However, probably won't be doing any this long for the rest of the summer. (as the day grew on, we started seeing snakes.....)
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Lisa's Yarns said…
Yikes! Snakes! You know me and my intense fear of those! Nice work on the hike! I hope how exhausting tough hikes can be! That is a long time to be on your feet. It reminds me of that hike I did in Asheville except that was 8.4 miles and took us like 5.5 hours so we did not move as quickly as you guys did. But we had more shade since it was a densely wooded area. The photos are beautiful and it's awesome that you got to see those cacti blooming! So pretty!
Marlys said…
Wow, that was quite the hike! I can understand why your legs were shaky. The pictures were awesome! You have really seen some beautiful sites and those cacti flowers are gorgeous! But I bet it was more work than doing the bathroom?
Unknown said…
What a challenging hike! I have always wanted to see the desert in bloom. Thanks for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...

Pandemic Pregnancy

Dearest Sebastian,  This will be a more sobering letter, but I don't think I can write about my pregnancy without addressing the big elephant in the room.  I write this letter to you in grave hopes that by the time you're old enough to read these letters, COVID-19 is something you read about in your history books. However, by the time you're taking history classes, I am sure you won't have textbooks. I'm sure some robot will tell you about it.  I hope that you go to a busy, bustling school with activities, contact sports, and choir. (all things that currently don't exist). I hope you had a childhood where you could play tag. (currently banned). I hope you have school pictures where you are making faces at the camera that is not hidden behind a mask. But given the current state, your mama is not so sure what kind of world she is bringing you into. At this point, all I can tell you is that I promise your Dad and I will travel with you and make life as special as w...