How I came up with it:
We bought our 1st "produce share" through a Groupon this month. It was $20 for a basket of fresh, organic, local produce. In the basket, we got eggplant (and green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, oranges, and garlic. Mmmm). I'm not a big eggplant fan, but was determined to find a way to like it. So I decided that basil and tomatoes (and cheese) make everything good.
Ingredients: (super easy!)
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- sliced tomatoes
- whole mozzarella
- 1/2 cup balsalmic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- s & p to taste
- Slice the eggplants, and soak in a container with the olive oil & balsalmic (10 min)
- Grill for about 2 minutes each side to get nice grill marks, and to soften the eggplant.
- Build your "sandwiches" - Eggplant, Basil leave, Slice of tomato, slice of mozzarella cheese, eggplant.
- Wrap in foil or place in grill pan.
- Return to grill for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
I do think this would be really good with some sort of marinara sauce for a meal, so would like to try that next time! Just a light drizzle of red sauce, maybe? These are super good!!
Check out my basil "garden"! I am so happy that my little basil plants are turning into a "bush". I made my 1st batch of pesto last Friday!
These are the "caprese sandwiches" before I put them on the grill for the final "cook"!
Do you like eggplant? I've just never been crazy about it. But I did like it in this manner!