I've broke these posts into 3 categories: Anniversary, Family Time, and finally "Happenings".
Instead of writing a book of all the fun we had, I am going with a bullet-point approach. It's Friday. Brain is fried and attention span is not so fantastic.
Here are a few of my favorite things of the trip:
- Waking up every single morning to views of the lake. Does it get better than this?!:
- Morning runs. Most days I did a 5 mile route that goes on a road behind the lake, and then another road through corn fields. After being stuck in the desert for the past 6 years....seeing all that green was rejuvenating.
- Lots of coffee enjoyed while looking at the lake.....
- One morning Ryan & I headed to Glendalough State Park. If you're ever in Ottertail County - I highly recommend checking this out! There's a nice 5.5 mile paved path that loops through forests and around 3 different lakes. Forgot to take pictures - but it was gorgeous!
- Swimming with my nieces & nephews. Last time I swam with my nephews - I could throw them around. Now? They were throwing me around and pushing me off the rafts! Next summer, they'll be doing this to Ryan, I am sure! ;)
- Several evenings we went on boat rides where I would read and look at the lake more, while Ryan fished.
- One of the evenings my Mom came out with us. After the sun went down - we were surrounded by probably 20 loons! It was incredibly serene and beautiful....
(it's hard to see, but the little black dots are loons)
- Ryan, Mom, & I rented kayaks one of the days - and spent the whole afternoon tooling around the lake.
- My brothers smoked a pig for our family reunion. WARNING: If you are a vegetarian for animal reasons...don't look below. It's a bit gory ;). I have to say it was delicious!
This vacation gave me exactly what I was hoping for! Spending time with family filled the little hole in my heart. And being on the lake recharged my mental battery. We returned home feeling restored and happy! Thank you, Mom & Dad for graciously hosting us. And thank you, Minnesota!!