Skip to main content

Half Ironman Training: Final Push

All these vacation posts may have one thinking, "She must have falling off the wagon on that half ironman training!" Not entirely true. However, I will say that week-long trip away did give me a little break from the constant circus of running from the pool, to the pedals, to the road! It was heavenly.

It has also been extremely difficult for me to get back on my bike since we've returned. Those 3-4 hour rides are so mentally difficult for me. Dealing with traffic, stop lights, sharp turns, worry of having to change a tire....it all gets me quite worked up. Plus, 4 hours on that tiny, torturous seat becomes barbaric.

I am currently in my final push before the taper. Race day is October 19. I can almost say "I made it!" Which is a pretty cool feeling.

Because I'm working this weekend, my training is a little screwy. I had Wed and Thurs off this week, so should have gotten a 50 mile ride in. But I just didn't have it in me. So here is a sample of my workouts for this final push.

Monday: Masters Swim (sprints) + 30 minute weight training session
Tuesday: Didn't have it in me to get up at 4:30, so had to do my brick workout at 7pm after work. Which was challenging. 1 hour spin class, 4 mile run (in the dark)
Wednesday: Masters swim. 1.7 miles - and our coach had us do the timed mile. Which I finished 1 mile in 30:30 (PR!)! (and that's after going 0.7 miles of warm ups and drills). Followed by a 6 mile run.
Thursday: Supposed to be my 50 mile bike ride. But instead I took advantage of the weather and did a 10 mile hike at a brisk pace. I'm sure it helped in my training?!
Friday: Masters swim - sprint day. (Another PR! My fasted 100m yet - 1:34. Some swimmers probably giggle at time, but I was happy.)
Saturday: 7 mile run (was supposed to do 12...but just didn't have it in me to wake at 4:15 and do it before work).
Sunday: Rest Day.
Monday: Brick day. Masters Swim. 50 mile bike ride. Alone. Gulp. (This is my day off. There's no way I'm doing this before work. That would be insane.)
Tuesday: 12 mile run.

And then the gradual taper begins!

I have found in this training that I really love swimming. Swimming is a sport where the more you do it, the better you get. Fact. There is so much technique and growth one can find in the swim. I originally joined the Masters Swim team with intent to quit after the tri. But I have decided that I'm in it for good (and I got authorization from my CFO. AKA Husband. Yippee!).

Biking is my least favorite sport of the 3. But it's still fun. The wind in your hair, the speed you can get going downhill, the triumph reaching the peak of a hill. But I also feel a great deal of fear and discomfort on the bike. My butt hurts, my thighs chafe, and sometimes I fall over.

And I always feel "home" when my feet hit the ground on the run.

What do I fear most about this race? The heat. That 13.1 mile run will be in Phoenix, AZ around 11am in the morning. It's going to be hot (like 90 degrees F). But with water stations and salt tablets, I will get through it. #littleenginethatcould

When I finish the race - I look forward to lifting weights, hiking, trail running, and just doing what I want to do. It will be a transition. Right now my sense of "Normalcy" is squeezing in 2 hours of exercise/day. So I will need to train my brain to remember, "Hey, Abby, you don't have to do cardio for 3 hours/day anymore! You're not going to turn into a toad."

Next time I talk about this training on my blog, I will most likely be doing a race-recap! Which is a scary and exciting feeling.....

Comments

Marlys said…
I truly don't know how you train like this and work full time! I will be happy when this race is finished and I do pray that the weather will be super cool for the race! That kind of heat is not good for doing a half-iron race or marathon so my prayers will be with you! I am so happy that you like swimming as I truly believe it is easier on the body than running for miles!
It will be good to have this accomplishment behind you and to do whatever you feel like doing! I thought marathon training was hard but this is a whole other beast! My friend John who has done several IM also liked biking the least. I don't think I'd like having to do those super long training rides. I love biking, but only on biking trails without traffic, and I don't think I could handle clip-in pedals as I'd probably fall all the time!

All that said I know you are going to do great!!!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for