Skip to main content

Greez, AZ getaway

Last weekend we decided to escape the grind, and head to the mountains for a quick weekend. It could not have come at a better time. Life has been crazy lately. Isn't it for everyone, though? ;) 

We have been working tirelessly to get our house ready to sell. We had the professional photos taken Thursday. That long list of things we were "going to get to eventually" when we bought the house, but never got to.....we have been attacking "that list": Painting ceilings, walls in the stairwell, painting baseboards, touching up walls, planting plants, and making our house look "unlived" in ;)

Not to mention work has been super busy for both of us lately. All good and exciting stuff. But busy!

Prior to our get-away, I found myself saying "I wish we never had booked this trip! We don't have time to be going away!!" -- which is kind of sad.

We rented this adorable little hotel-cabin in Greer, AZ. Which is a little ski-town at ~8000 ft elevation. It's referred to as the "little town at the end of the road". That's exactly what it is. So isolated. Nothing commercial. Just charming and peaceful.

The temps were in the teens at night, and 50's during the day -- my kind of weather!

Friday night we walked up the street to a cute little steak house called "Molly Butler Lodge". It had a fire going, had that "small town charm", and served the most delicious home cooked food ever. We shared a bottle of wine -- and had trout dinners. The people watching in this small town was our entertainment ;)

After dinner, we went back to our lodge and cuddled.



Saturday morning we woke up naturally without alarms, which is a very rare thing for us. We were still up at 6:15 ;)

We made coffee, and headed to the closest lake. Ryan trout fished, and Miles and I explored.

The sunrise was so pretty!!

Ryan in his "happy place" - fishing pole in the water with a warm mug of coffee :)
 



Miles & I found some fun discoveries. Many ponds, meadows, and a pile of bones - which he really enjoyed ;).


And this he found the water ;). This was his 1st trip to a lake. We have a pool in our backyard, which he wants nothing to do with. But we could not keep him out of the lake! The water was really cold. There was ice around the edges! But that didn't stop Miles.
After a few hours of hiking around and fishing, we worked up an appetite. So headed to "Rendezvous Café", and again enjoyed some delicious hearty food! (I was not counting calories this weekend.)

We had sandwiches and shared "green bean fries". And I quote our waitress, who said, "If it ain't fried, it ain't food 'round here!" (This make me shriek a little, as I hate fried food. But I was a trooper. And they were delicious...)

We headed back out for another 45 minute hike, on a trail that is a cross country skiing trail during the winter!




We ended our hike at the lake, put our feet up, and enjoyed some R & R. I got some good reading in!

This is my happy place....
 

Ryan caught us a delicious fish. Which was just as fun to eat as it was to catch! ;)
 (We cooked it up once we got back home)
 
 
We ended our day back at the lodge. Where we ordered a pizza, took it back to our room, and spent the evening watching movies. The best part is that our puppy who is so full of energy finally passed out!
 
He turned 1 year this weekend. Clearly the birthday boy partied too hard ;)
 

 
Sunday morning I got up before the sun, went out for a 4 mile run. During my run, it started freezing rain on me. So we packed up the car, and headed home to get back to "housework". We got to drive through a little snow storm!
 
I hope we can get back to Greer before we move! Such a perfect place!
 

Comments

What a fun getaway! I bet that fresh trout tasted amazing! I am glad you guys got a chance to get away and do the things you love as I know you've been busy lately preparing for the big changes to come. I love that Miles totally wore himself out!!
Marlys said…
That picture of Miles passed out is too funny! That is what fresh air does to you, so I am sure he loved exploring and playing in the water as much as you two, or more!
Little get-a-ways are great for the soul, especially after all the work you have been doing to get ready for the big sale!

It looked great to see you in stocking caps and jackets even though it is still warm in Oro Valley! I am sure it was a welcome reprieve!
Amber said…
Wow that sounds like a pretty perfect little getaway! The idea of getting away to a little cabin in the woods like that sounds SO AMAZING to me right now :) Looks like a beautiful area too!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c