Skip to main content

Downward Facing Diva

If you would have asked me 1 year ago, "Do you want to go to yoga?" I would have laughed, and thought to myself "That's not a workout! If I'm going to spend an hour at the gym, I may as well spend in lifting weights or running!"

Boy was I wrong. And how I have changed my thinking!

I label this post "downward facing diva" - because I feel like I have transformed into my own personal various of a "yoga diva". Better known as a "yogi" over the past few months.

I started yoga because I had a revelation that it's quite pathetic that I can run 20 miles, but I cannot touch my toes. Yoga helped me do that, and much more!

I will share that I wasn't feeling so "yoga diva status" at my 1st bikram flow class approximately 3 weeks ago. Where I found myself outside the studio, at the corner of a busy intersection in town, lying on the cement in a sports bra and yoga pants dry-heaving!

Not my finest moment.

And let me tell you...I left that class thinking "Why didn't I try this place before buying a Groupon!? I have to do 10 more of these?!"

But something kept me coming back. The instructor told me that it will get easier, so I tried again.

Here are a few things that yoga has taught me:

  • You don't have to deadlift and lunge with 50 pounds to be strong. In fact, I feel the strongest I ever have from holding Warrior 3 for 1 minute.
  • I've learned about foundation. In order to get to "c", you must start with a and then b. I'm not always "a fan" of that, and prefer to skip to step "c".
  • Heat is something I've never enjoyed, but bikram has taught me to embrace it. To be "okay" with being overheated. My 1st class, I nearly had a panic attack over how hot I was. Now I've learned to take a deep breath, and move through it.
  • Savasana (laying flat on the ground in stillness) is just as challenging as "plank pose". It requires stillness, focus, and calm. Which isn't always my strongest trait.
  • Take care of my body even when you're not on the mat. I have to make myself to drink tons of water, and take in enough calories on the daysI do bikram in the evening- or else my blood pressure gets low and I feel like crud!
  • Mindlfulness. You have to be mindful of what you put in your body before class, you have to be mindful of those around you, you have to be mindful of finding your inner "calm".







Comments

I am glad that you are enjoying yoga! As you know, I've been doing lots of yoga lately too and I just love it. I can definitely tell that I am getting more toned in my arms, shoulders, and back. It's definitely a different kind of workout but I really enjoy it and my HRM has shown me that I burn more calories than I thought I would.

Most of the classes I go to are heated but not as hot as what you are doing, probably. I think the temp in the room is usually around 95-98. I did do one hot yoga class and I liked it but haven't made time to go back as it's at a time that doesn't work super well for my schedule.

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for