Skip to main content

What's in the kitchen?

Cooking good food - it's kind of a goal, but more of an evolving lifestyle for me.

This is something I struggle with when Ryan is away, because it is so easy to grab cheese, hummus, and crackers for a "meal".

But that does not fuel me for the 45-mile weeks I've been running lately ;)

One thing that has helped with my cooking is purchasing in a spiralizer. I 1st ordered the cheap one on Amazon. And immediately sent it back. You get what you pay for....

So I went with the Amazon best seller. And am in love!

I have done many batches of spiralized zucchini.
I've done spiralized sweet potatoes - sautéed in sea salt and coconut oil (my favorite, thus far).
To fuel me up for my 20 mile run, I spiralized red potatoes last night.

I am guilty of using ketchup with potatoes like this. But crisping them up with cumin, sea salt, and coconut oil? -- NKR (that's No. Ketchup. Required) :D They were a great accompaniment to Dijon chicken breasts and roasted garlic.


Besides sprializing a lot of vegetables.

I have been roasting away. This is the time of year where it is okay to use the oven, as it's not 9000 degrees outside. My new favorite food to roast? Broccoli! I highly recommend you all try this!

Toss broccoli in olive oil, salt, pepper, and lots of garlic.
Roast at 450 degrees x 20 minutes
It will crisp them up, and taste so good!

Last Sunday I roasted my 1st chicken! Ryan and I eat roasted and grilled whole chickens all the time. But guess who cleans the chicken, handles the gizards, and carves it?

Not me ;)

I felt like a real "grown up" when I did this last weekend!
This provided meals all week long for me!

And my final new food I tried last week.....my own home-made Larabars!

Lara bars are a "Paleo-approved" (not that I'm 100% paleo...more 80/20). But they are so easy to make, and quite good for you. I really like knowing exactly what I'm putting in my stomach, and that happens with this recipe!

1 cup raw almonds
1 cup pitted Meejol dates
1 cup unsweeted coconut flakes
2 Tbsp good cocoa powder
1/4 cup 70% cocoa chips
~ 2 Tbsp water

I put the coconut and almonds in my food processor, added in the dates and cocoa, and enough splashes of water to make it stick together. I pressed it into an 8x8 in pan, and stirred in the cocoa chips. These are a great pre-workout snack! Or when I'm craving something sweet. It's like a piece of fudge.

Okay, I lied. They aren't as good as Mom's fudge. No paleo recipe will ever be as good as real, Christmas fudge. ;)

I am going to make a Vegetarian Moroccan Stew tonight for dinner, to give me leftovers for the whole week. It will have lentils, chick peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, and many wonderful anti-inflammatory spices. I hope it cures me. I had a really brutal 20 miler this morning.

What have you been cooking lately?




Comments

Marlys said…
I hope your lentil stew is helping you heal! And your food sounds delicious! I have a recipe for spiralized carrots, olive oil, S & P and you cover it with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or so. I think it is something I have to try!
I really thing eating when you are alone is the toughest thing! I would really struggle with that, so it is good to make a big batch of something you can use for a daily main meal like you did! Heal quickly, you hear!
Lisa's Yarns said…
I'm glad that you are loving your spiralizer! I need to get in the habit of using mine more. I've made some different dishes with it like a sweet potato dish with black beans, zoodles, and a coleslaw type of salad with spiralized green apples which was really good! Skinnytaste has lots of spiralized recipes if you are looking for inspiration!!
Amber said…
I LOVE my spiralizer! I did a chicken in the crockpot for the first time this week and it turned out SO good and the whole house smelled amazing! I will definitely start doing that more often.

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...

Pandemic Pregnancy

Dearest Sebastian,  This will be a more sobering letter, but I don't think I can write about my pregnancy without addressing the big elephant in the room.  I write this letter to you in grave hopes that by the time you're old enough to read these letters, COVID-19 is something you read about in your history books. However, by the time you're taking history classes, I am sure you won't have textbooks. I'm sure some robot will tell you about it.  I hope that you go to a busy, bustling school with activities, contact sports, and choir. (all things that currently don't exist). I hope you had a childhood where you could play tag. (currently banned). I hope you have school pictures where you are making faces at the camera that is not hidden behind a mask. But given the current state, your mama is not so sure what kind of world she is bringing you into. At this point, all I can tell you is that I promise your Dad and I will travel with you and make life as special as w...