Skip to main content

Peculiar Destinations

As I was writing about our trip to Syracuse, I made the statement " I don't think we would have visited this part of the country, if it weren't for Ryan's job.". And it dawned on me that there are a lot of beautiful, amazing places I wouldn't have explored...if it weren't for just that!

"We will see how things play out" are words that come out of my mouth several times/week, in fact. When trying to make plans in advance.

And I'm okay with that. We cannot control what we cannot control!

So here are few gems we have found due to our situation:

1. Tucson!! When I look back at "me" 10 years ago, I would not have chose Tucson. In fact, if you gave me a map and said "Pick anywhere" -- I'd pick someone with more seasons. But, WOW, I can't picture life had we need found this place. Our adventures, the hobbies we've picked up, the friends we've made, the lifestyle we developed....

2. Montgomery, Alabama. Now this would not be my #1 place to visit. But since Ryan graduated from officer school here -- I visited him for his graduation back in March of 2012. If you ever have to be there -- it is a gem of a downtown! Really good restaurants, very charming old buildings, great history!

3. Las Vegas. Ryan has had to go to Vegas for various trainings over the years. We are exactly crazy about Vegas, but always have made the best of our trips! 
City lights views from the Stratophere

I went to visit him a few years ago, and while he was in school all day - I ventured out to Red Rock Canyon Park to trail run. Incredibly beautiful!!

4. San Antonio/Austin, Texas. We got to live in San Antonio for about 5 months summer of 2013. I do not recommend the Riverwalk. But there are many gems to found be in this region. Pictured below are a few of my favorites!
Guadalupe River. We went tubing down this with friends a few times. 

I also found a bike route that goes along the river for about 20 miles! It was just a stunning place for cyclists! This picture marks such a fun and memorable day. We biked the Guadalupe River, and then had lunch in a German Town called Gruene. So fun!

This is a picture of the running rails of McAlister Park in San Antonio. San Antonio had some beautiful parks and trail running in the outskirts of town. It was common to find deer early in the morning when I'd go running!

And of course, the Texas state capitol. Bigger than the US Capitol. Of course! Everything is bigger in Texas ;)

5. Alamogordo, NM. Now I would not tell you all to get on the 1st flight to Las Cruces. Ha!!! But Ryan had to live here for 5 months in 2014, and darnit we made the best of the weekends I would come visit him!! 
White Sands is incredible. That is all sand around me. You can sled in the sand! 
I also highly recommend the mountain town of Cloudcroft!! Very charming with art stores, pubs, and good restaurants. 

6. Keystone, Colorado -- While Ryan was stuck in New Mexico - his group of classmates did a weekend of skiing/snowboarding in Keystone. It was about an 8 hour drive. This was a fast but incredible weekend!

7. The wild blue yonder. Ryan had to get his private pilot license for his job. Due to that - I have been able to go up in the sky with him. I absolutely LOVE flying. I don't like taking the yoke, but I love helping navigate and taking in the scenery!
This was our view flying over the Salt River just north of Phoenix, AZ.


8. And finally...Syracuse/Ithaca! And soon NYC because he is in Syracuse! 



So whenever I get frustrated with the process and lifestyle, I need to just be referred to this page of my blog! I cannot wait to see what adventures await. We never know in advance! ;) 



Comments

Marlys said…
You have had some incredible journeys to savor & enjoy! I am so proud of you for making the best of whatever situation you have been exposed to. You are a trooper but also get to enjoy all these journeys with Ryan which make it very special!
That is awesome that Ryan's career journey has taken you to some unexpected places! It's a reminder that you can find beauty anywhere if you look for it! I'm really proud of how well you've embraced the unknown and made an adventure out of it. That is something that I am TERRIBLE about due to how type A I am!!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c