"We will see how things play out" are words that come out of my mouth several times/week, in fact. When trying to make plans in advance.
And I'm okay with that. We cannot control what we cannot control!
So here are few gems we have found due to our situation:
1. Tucson!! When I look back at "me" 10 years ago, I would not have chose Tucson. In fact, if you gave me a map and said "Pick anywhere" -- I'd pick someone with more seasons. But, WOW, I can't picture life had we need found this place. Our adventures, the hobbies we've picked up, the friends we've made, the lifestyle we developed....
2. Montgomery, Alabama. Now this would not be my #1 place to visit. But since Ryan graduated from officer school here -- I visited him for his graduation back in March of 2012. If you ever have to be there -- it is a gem of a downtown! Really good restaurants, very charming old buildings, great history!
3. Las Vegas. Ryan has had to go to Vegas for various trainings over the years. We are exactly crazy about Vegas, but always have made the best of our trips!
City lights views from the Stratophere
I went to visit him a few years ago, and while he was in school all day - I ventured out to Red Rock Canyon Park to trail run. Incredibly beautiful!!
4. San Antonio/Austin, Texas. We got to live in San Antonio for about 5 months summer of 2013. I do not recommend the Riverwalk. But there are many gems to found be in this region. Pictured below are a few of my favorites!
Guadalupe River. We went tubing down this with friends a few times.
I also found a bike route that goes along the river for about 20 miles! It was just a stunning place for cyclists! This picture marks such a fun and memorable day. We biked the Guadalupe River, and then had lunch in a German Town called Gruene. So fun!
This is a picture of the running rails of McAlister Park in San Antonio. San Antonio had some beautiful parks and trail running in the outskirts of town. It was common to find deer early in the morning when I'd go running!
And of course, the Texas state capitol. Bigger than the US Capitol. Of course! Everything is bigger in Texas ;)
5. Alamogordo, NM. Now I would not tell you all to get on the 1st flight to Las Cruces. Ha!!! But Ryan had to live here for 5 months in 2014, and darnit we made the best of the weekends I would come visit him!!
White Sands is incredible. That is all sand around me. You can sled in the sand!
I also highly recommend the mountain town of Cloudcroft!! Very charming with art stores, pubs, and good restaurants.
6. Keystone, Colorado -- While Ryan was stuck in New Mexico - his group of classmates did a weekend of skiing/snowboarding in Keystone. It was about an 8 hour drive. This was a fast but incredible weekend!
7. The wild blue yonder. Ryan had to get his private pilot license for his job. Due to that - I have been able to go up in the sky with him. I absolutely LOVE flying. I don't like taking the yoke, but I love helping navigate and taking in the scenery!
This was our view flying over the Salt River just north of Phoenix, AZ.
8. And finally...Syracuse/Ithaca! And soon NYC because he is in Syracuse!
So whenever I get frustrated with the process and lifestyle, I need to just be referred to this page of my blog! I cannot wait to see what adventures await. We never know in advance! ;)