Skip to main content

1st Tri Running

I thought I'd do a little blog post to recap my accounts on running and fitness through my 1st trimester. One, so I can look back on this someday and realized "Oh, I did get fast again" and also as a comparison for the next time I'm pregnant. 

**Disclaimer - I do NOT expect anyone to read this, as it is probably boring with statistics. I just would love to document each trimester, so I can look back at this!**

Running has also been a really pivotal and important part of my sanity throughout this journey. As I've expressed in too much detail, I've been sort of consumed by nausea. People may be saying "Well, why are you running then?" And that is a conversation for me, my husband, and my OB :). Running and exercise actually makes me feel better - because it gets my blood flowing, digestive system working, oxygen, and provides me with some social time. My OB told me directly "You keep running until you don't feel like you can run anymore." 

I was probably in the best shape of my life prior to this pregnancy running some of the fastest times ever. I was training with a former professional triathlete and a U of A cross country athlete :D. (so out of my league!! haha). But then COVID canceled all my spring racing plans, so I didn't get to chase down that sub-20 min 5K I was hoping for. But I'll get it after Baby Namaste is born ;) 

When I was pregnant but didn't quite know it in June - I ran a 5K time trial "race" with my running group, and while I was 1st female finisher - I felt like I was running through sand.

Exactly 1 week later, I discovered I was "with child" - and it suddenly made sense why that 5K was so freaking hard

Here is a synopsis on 1st trimester running. Q & A style:

When did you notice running felt "different"?

The minute I had a + pregnancy test at 5 weeks! However, that weekend there was a lot going on. Tucson was in a massive wildfire, where our house was in the "set" phase for evacuation. We had closed on our 1st investment property and spent the entire 105-degree weekend painting the exterior during the day, and completing interior renovated at night. It was hot and I was sleep-deprived. But I immediately felt like running was harder. 

What was the worst week of running in your 1st trimester?

Week 8, I believe. My nausea now at week 13-14 is probably worse, because now I'm actually vomiting and I'm up all night feeling sick. But week 7 is when I 1st started experiencing nausea, and I remember just feeling like I didn't know what to do with myself. I think I ran a total of 4 miles that week and spent my mornings in bed in agony. 

Then I realized that staying in bed didn't make nausea go away. 

What have you changed about your running? 

I now carry water with me on every single run. I NEVER carried water, except for on long trail runs. Even a 20+ mile road run, I would just find water fountains or drop a bottle somewhere along the course. I don't like having anything "on me" when I'm running. But with temps being in the 80's at 5am + my baby needs extra hydration I make myself drink at least every 2 miles. 

Weekly avg mileage & pace?

I have a goal of 30 miles/week. I am currently hitting about 25 miles/week. I run 4 days/week and do 2 days of strength training/barre. I take 1 rest day where I just do a 45-minute walk with Miles. 

Pre-Pregnancy "avg" Road Pace: 7:45/mile

Pre-Pregnancy Road half marathon pace: 7:00/mile

Pre-Pregnancy Tempo Pace: 6:45/mile

"Avg" Road Pace 1st Tri: 8:40/mile (but it is also averaging 85 degrees + 60% humidity every morning) 

Tempo Pace 1st Tri: 7:30/mile (but I can hold it for very long because it's so hot)

Longest distance ran in 1st trimester:

9.5 miles on the trail. It was about a 90 minute run for me, because trail is always "slower". I did that yesterday - at 13 weeks & 6 days pregnant and it was 87 degrees when I started. Gross. 

Workouts?

I still hit the track 1 day/week. Because it is hot out, I stick to short intervals like 400's, 600's, 200's. 

My 400m pregnancy at the end of this trimester was 1:38 (about 6:30 pace) and my 200m PR was 45 seconds (about 5:50 pace). 

I also still weight train, and I have backed off the weight a little. My max deadlift was 85 lbs and squat was 70 lbs. I'd like to keep my legs and core as strong as possible to prevent injury and to help me bounce back from postpartum quicker. 

I enjoy workouts so much, so want to keep this up at whatever pace I can do! It makes me feel like a runner. Plus, the short intervals give me recovery. I've read these kinds of workouts will help with labor because it teaches your body to "push" and then take a break. We'll see! 

Highlight of 1st trimester running:

The social time. I'm working from home, Arizona is still very quarantined. Really my only social time is my morning run. I can't quite keep up with my running partners anymore, but it is nice to start with them and end with them. I do have 1 running friend who is also pregnant, so it is nice to run with her. 

Also the trails. My pace is so different on trails - and getting out there takes the focus away from how much I'm slowing down. It is just a forward movement with beautiful surroundings! It is also a peaceful time for me to reflect on life as it is changing. I always feel really empowered. A few weeks ago a mountain biker said to me "I don't know how you run this terrain you're tough!" and it felt really good to fire back "Thanks! And I'm 10 weeks pregnant!" haha!

Snapshots of my favorite 1st trimester runs: 


This was taken last weekend out at my favorite trail system, Saguaro National Park East. 

The Sunrise that morning was so "Arizona"

I was probably only 7 weeks @ this point and none of my friends knew I was pregnant. 
We held a surprise baby shower for my friend who was 38 weeks pregnant at the time. 
It was a fun morning - and probably my last long run where I felt normal :D 

And this is why I love the trails. The 1st trimester was a tough one for me, due to not feeling well. But running always made me feel a little bit more "Human". I am so grateful for every mile Baby Namaste let me run! 

Comments

I’m glad you have been able to continue to run and that you feel good when running! I am sure it’s so good to get outside and have some social time with others. I definitely miss that aspect of run club! But now I have a chatty 2yo to keep me company on my walks! I try to get outside for walks by myself a couple of times/week but that’s the extent of my workouts. But walking feels really good. I figure I will return to running after baby #2! Of course now is when it would be easiest to fit in with me working from Home full time!

Congrats on getting through the first tri!!!!
Marlys said…
I admire your tenacity, Abby girl! I hope that you’ll soon experience a drop in the temperatures so your runs aren’t so brutal, and that the nausea subsides greatly or disappears completely! What a difference that would make! I know that fresh air and exercise was always good for that morning sickness one feels. It’s one of those things a person kind of packs away in their memory once the baby is born!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c