Skip to main content

Last Night's Horror Scene

 Dear Baby Namaste,

**Warning, moderately graphic and mildly offensive story ahead** But this is how I cope with discomfort...finding humor in it.

I return to letters to you, after my pause to discuss all things career-related and school. Your mama has had quite a day, but as long as I stay super distracted, nausea seems to stay away. So I am writing to you to continue my distraction. 

I write this letter to you as a lesson, and maybe someday you'll wake up on the wrong side of the bed and want to throw up your hands and say "forget this day!". And I can tell you, don't. Don't let those first few minutes dictate your attitude for the whole day. 

I have a pretty solid example for you. And I think it also is proof of how much I already love you.

Of all the things in this world your mom avoids and hates, it is vomiting. She would rather sit in fetal position feeling nauseated for days before she chooses to just throw up. 

Yesterday was a tough day. I was nauseated and queasy all day. I had back-to-back Skype meetings all day and several I was leading. I kept having to put myself on mute and excuse myself from the meeting.

And finally...it all came to "fruition" at approximately 2am this morning when I found myself reenacting that scene of the spinning head and green bile from "The Exorcism of Emily Rose". 



(actual footage of me last night at 2 am...)

And just when I thought things couldn't get worse...out of the corner of my tear-filled eyes I saw Mr. Cricket creeping across our very small "water closet" headed in my direction (our toilet is closed off separate from the rest of our master bathroom).


(actual size of the cricket in our bathroom last night

This is when Ryan heard my heaving, crying, and muttering, and he said "I'm so sorry babe, is there anything I can do for you?" And I muttered "Kill this thing! Kill it! Help me!! HELLLLP"

It was instantaneous that he was in the bathroom to see what was going on. Clearly, he assumed I had lost my mind. I had no shoe, or hard device to kill the cricket (my usual weapon). Just a bath towel that I repetitively smashed on the cricket while I simultaneously dry-heaved my guts out. 

I was successful in killing the little bastard. We all were wide awake (including a very curious Golden Retriever). But, I felt better. 

So how much do I love you, Baby Namaste? I love you enough to kill a bug while dry heaving in the midst of the night :D. 

And when my alarm to go run went off at 4:30am, my initial response was "Screw that! I want to sleep until the baby is born". But I pulled myself out of bed, ate a piece of toast, and headed out for some fresh air and exercise. 

I ended up having a really productive day at work, a promising visit to the perinatologist, and I was able to get several hours of homework accomplished! 

I'm really glad I didn't let those 1st waking moments dictate my whole day. Sometimes you need to just brush yourself off and move forward. 

But I am going to make your Dad do a thorough bug-check tonight before we go to bed, so I don't repeat last night's drama. 

With Love,

The Expelling Exterminator

Comments

Lizzie G. said…
You make me laugh-cry:) I remember this awfulnesses and your descriptions are just the best therapeutic sarcastic reflections. I'm still crying with you too though Abby, praying this passes for you quickly.
Oh wow that is epically epically bad! You poor thing. I have no tolerance for creepy crawly things. Dealing with that on top of vomiting is so so bad.

I hope this passes very very soon. I don’t know how you are functioning on so little sleep! I need so much more than when I am not pregnant... so I can’t imagine being woken up by nausea in the middle of the night. That is just so so horrible!!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c