Skip to main content

Running in the 2nd Trimester

 I did this after the 1st Trimester - and am doing it again. 

Again, I expect no one to read this. This is sort of my "diary" to look back on next pregnancy. 

What was different about 2nd Trimester from 1st trimester?

I actually ran so much better in my 2nd trimester because I wasn't so dang sick. It was glorious. 

Weekly avg mileage & pace?

I ran 20-25 miles/week. I had a few weeks where I hit 30 miles, but once I got a barre membership - I dropped down to 20 miles/week. 

Pre-Pregnancy "avg" Road Pace: 7:45/mile

Pre-Pregnancy Road half marathon pace: 7:00/mile

Pre-Pregnancy Tempo Pace: 6:45/mile

"Avg" Road Pace 1st Tri: 8:40/mile (but it is also averaging 85 degrees + 60% humidity every morning) 

Tempo Pace 1st Tri: 7:30/mile (but I can hold it for very long because it's so hot)

Avg Road Pace 2nd Tri: 8:20/mile (notice it was faster...attributed to not vomiting + not being 90 degrees at 5 am)

Tempo Pace 2nd Tri: 7:45/mile 

Longest distance ran in 1st trimester:

10 miles! Around Week 15 I was able to do a 10 mile trail run, and that was my longest run of my pregnancy. It was fun to see those double digits - and it was a fun morning as it was a very easy trail that I ran with 2 girlfriends.

Workouts?

I continued with running workouts 1-2 days/week. My running group (WOG) started up in August, and is just 5 minutes from my house. We run on variable surfaces - and one of my friends is coming back from having a baby so it was nice to be sort of similar pace. 

Workouts actually felt better than "easy" runs. I talked to other runner friends who ran through their pregnancy - and they agreed. Our consensus is during a "workout" - you're more focused on form and doing interval-type workouts. Therefore, it just feels better! 

Highlights:

My Tues/Thurs WOG workouts. This again was a big part of my "social time" - working from home and living in the pandemic. I really looked forward to 5:15am every Tues/Thurs to put on my headlamp and hit the track with friends. 

I also really enjoyed running when I visited my parents in Minnesota - b/c I got to look at snow and run along the lake.

Tips

My OB encouraged me to keep running if it feels good, since it is such a part of my lifestyle. The only rule she gave me was I must drink at least 1 gallon of water on the days I run and I have to make sure I can still speak in full sentences. I followed that rule and would talk to myself on runs sometimes to be sure I was in control of my breathing.

I joined a barre studio, and I found this so helpful. there is so much balance and deep core work that I think helped keep my joints and back healthy as my body continues to grow. 

I hardly have any pictures from my 2nd trimester, as most of my runs were early in the morning before the sun came up :D But here are a few highlights of me carrying Baby M.

This was taken the day of the 10 miles at Honeybee Canyon with 2 of my closest girlfriends -- Sharon & Lisa!

This is taken at the top of Sabino Canyon @ 23 weeks. 

I was very excited to make it to the top. This area was closed all summer due to the fires - and when it finally opened in October, I was really hoping I could run it before I got "too pregnant". 

This was a 2 mile TT my "WOG" group did one Saturday morning.
I was 20 weeks here, and I averaged 7:15/mile pace on this and felt pretty proud! (7:15/mile is my typical goal marathon pace...to give some perspective :D) 

Afterwards, I enjoyed an empanada and another Mexican pastry at my favorite Mexican Bakery - and we all sat outside on lawn chairs enjoying a "socially distanced breakfast".



Comments

I'm glad you have been able to continue to run and workout through your pregnancy! That should really help come delivery day! I had hopes I would run through pregnancy w/ Paul but that was quickly ruled out due to my bleeding issues from the SCH... and then RA. And this time around, I knew it was out of the question. I was able to do daily walks until the 3rd tri when my RA got horrible. I'm looking forward to being able to move my body again and not be in pain - but I'm not sure how much walking I'll get in with our frigid temps here... we shall see!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c