Skip to main content

2020 Goals - Oh for cute

Every year towards the end of December, I sit down and write down a "bucket list" for the year. I do that instead of resolutions or goals because it just feels more fun to check things off as the year goes on. 

Well, in 2020 - I have a lofty bucket list involving different travel plans, career endeavors, and athletic accomplishments. 

And then COVID happened. And then I got pregnant. So now when I read my 2020 goals, it kind of makes me giggle. While 2020 looked different than I thought it would -- it shaped out to be a pretty great year despite conditions out of our control!

One thing I can't stand is making up excuses for things you didn't get done. Excuses = crutches. If you didn't accomplish something, you clearly didn't make that a priority. But this year...I think I can we can all use a"judgement-free excuse card".

So here is where I came out :D 

1. Run 50K -- I did that! It was January 25, prior to the world starting on fire and races shutting down. 

This is me with my friends Sharon & Craig - who I did all the training for this race with! It was a pretty cool memory.


2. Hike Mt. Wrightston -- Well, after I recovered from my 50K, many of the trails were shut down due to COVID. Then the mountains started on fire. By the time the mountains weren't on fire, I was into my second trimester of pregnancy - and that just isn't the time to be climbing the highest peak in the Tucson area.

3. Obtain my Six Sigma Yellow Belt. I was signed up for an all-day class in Phoenix for the initial training. And then COVID hit, and it got cancelled. By the time my company rescheduled it to a virtual meeting, I was redeployed and assisting with distribution of PPE. 

4. Deadlift 200 lbs. Right after my 50K, I started to do a lot of weight training, and I got up to 165# deadlifting. When we had our shutdowns in March, I started turning to running 6 days/week as my escape from everything, so I lost interest in this goal.

5. Visit Sedona. Yes! We did this in May when we were camping in Flagstaff. We had a beautiful hike and soaked in the sites. 

Sedona is absolutely gorgeous! We look forward to retuning here for another camping trip hopefully this spring once the baby is old enough.

6. Graduate from MSN Program. Another thing I did! haha 

7. Run a sub-1:32 half marathon. This would have qualified me into the NYC Marathon. Well, all races got cancelled - so this didn't happen. 

8. Read 4 books. If you count the pregnancy books I read this summer, then I accomplished this goal. I know 4 isn't much - but I was trying to be realistic knowing I'd have my toughest courses with grad school this year!

9. Make 5 new friends. This sounds like a strange goal - but I always try to set relationship/friendship goals, and always like to expand my circle each year. I didn't accomplish this goal, because it is hard to make new friends when everything is shut down. I will say I re-kindled some friendships this year, however! 

10. Join church choir. Well, there is no singing and church has mostly been shut down. So this did not happen. 

11. Get pregnant. 

Okay, reading this goal made me laugh out loud -- because I seriously do not even remember writing this one down!! 
Not to say this pregnancy was an "oops". 
In May, Ryan and I made the conscious decision to stop "not trying". We have been doing natural family planning throughout our marriage, and to be completely honest - I didn't even think I could get pregnant since I had irregular cycles and had never gotten pregnant yet to this date. 
But I pretty much got pregnant the second we started "trying". 

So there is another goal that was checked off the 2020 bucket list! And I'd have to say the best one yet!




Comments

I think you did great with your goals considering the curve balls that 2020 threw at us! I didn’t really set goals for 2020. I knew we really wanted to have a baby and I know that pregnancy is very hard for me so it’s not the time to reach for goals. But I did read a ton and had a great year at work, so it was a good year! I am not setting goals this year either because the first year of life after a baby is born is very hard and throws you all sorts of other challenges. I mean I will still strive to accomplish things. It’s just not a time for me personally to really push myself! So it’s all about adjusting to life as a family of 4!
Marlys said…
Well, I had a lofty goal for 2020 and I accomplished it - retirement! I can’t believe how I don’t miss working and keep wondering how I worked 8 hour days, taking care of two homes and just keeping up with life requirements. I am so enjoying my early morning coffee dates with my daily scripture readings etc! And some days I don’t get dressed until after 8 am! I find time for daily Masses about 2 or 3 days a week. Life is great.
I can’t say that Covid has affected me much except for not having family around as much as we would like but we have seen everyone occasionally, so all is good.
My goals for the New Year are mostly to start making quilts for my grandchildren so I’m raring to get started! Thankfully there’s a quilt shop not far from here, Perham, so I know I can get advice there.
I’m also really excited to go on a road trip to AZ with Paul as we have rarely traveled that way so I hope the weather cooperates! We are so excited to greet our new granddaughter when we get there! Two grands within three months is so awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c