Skip to main content

The Advice

 As my due date approaches within the next 2 weeks..the advice has been coming in strong from multiple angles. And holy crap, is it ever overwhelming.

"Let the baby cry it out"

"Don't let them cry, they are a new born - they need your love"

"Nurse your baby to sleep."

"Whatever you do...do not nurse your baby to sleep! This creates bad habits."

"Pump so dad can bottle-feed."

"Don't pump until you have to, or she will get confused."

"Just nurse them in bed" 

"Whatever you do...DO NOT nurse them in bed..."

"You can breastfeed!"

"Don't be so confident you'll be able to breastfeed. I wasn't able to breastfeed with any of mine. Not everyone can do it..."

"You're awfully small. Are you sure they have your due date correct?" 

"You don't let ready to deliver in 2 weeks. You'll go over." 


Ha! My response to all of it is "Oh thank you for that tip! I'll keep that in mind!" :) 

Ryan and I have read a few books, we are taking a "Breastfeeding & Baby care" class via zoom, and know that some of these things we are just going to learn and figure out as we go. But it's really quite comical how much advice is thrown at you. I know it all is in good heart, and people just wanting to help... 

I do really like the instructor of this class we are taking (who is a lactation consultant, pediatric physical therapist, and certified Doula...so she seems to know a thing or 2 about babies)... and one of there biggest themes is "You cannot do any harm to your newborn loving and bonding with them." She really tries to debunk the pressure that is put on new parents to "train" their newborn. 

Our society kind of has this unspoken belief that sleeping baby = success and poorly sleeping baby = failure. But, she reminds me that this baby has been in my belly for 9 months with absolutely no schedule, and they do not have the neurological aptitude to know what they are doing within those 1st months. So just love, comfort, sooth, and feed them - and the rest sort of falls into place. 

Ryan and I are so excited to greet this litty lady when she is ready to make her appearance! I finally figured out how to use the car seat/stroller system (which seemed SO DAUNTING a few months ago when we 1st purchased it :D 

I'm really happy my Mom & Dad will get to be here shortly after the baby is born, as they have opinions I trust ;) She has raised 5 children and snuggled 9 grandchildren before...so I believe she may have some tricks up her sleeve. 

I get my COVID test this Thursday, and then I'm full term at 39 weeks! So things are getting real :) 

My pregnancy blog posts are coming to an end. I think I'll plan to keep up with blogging - as it is a nice way to journal. 



Comments

Ugh the unsolicited advice can be super annoying. Its helpful to have a group of women whose advice you trust in addition to a pediatrician you can send questions to. Beyond that, it’s a lot of smiling and nodding. I’m glad you are taking a breastfeeding class! It is tricky but just lean on the lactation consultants and post partum nurses. At first you will feel like you need 3 arms - and help from Ryan. But you will figure it out. It is one thing in a long list of things that you can’t control. Some babies do great (Will) and some just can’t (Paul).

And yes, you can not spoil a baby of teach them bad habits in the first 12 weeks. They don’t learn things in those first months. It’s all about comforting and feeding them. Our amma teacher reminded us of that!!

In the first week when Will was basically up every one at night, Joan’s friend, who was a nurse (!!!), said we should just give him some cereal. Insane right???? Granted back in the day they gave babies cereal so early - like at 3 months. Now thanks to science we know they shouldn’t have cereal or other solids until 6 months!! But the older generation doesn’t understand this clearly. Ha.
Marlys said…
Oh, there are so many advices people love to give, as they do to pregnant mothers as you’ve found out. Every baby is different and the main thing is to relax and love them, which I know you and Ryan are eager to do. My Mom told me I had to get my babies on a tight schedule, but I didn’t listen to her. She also said I should start potty training as soon as they could walk. Nope, didn’t listen again! You’ll find what works for you.

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c