Skip to main content

Is that you, sleep?

 Dear Sleep,

My distant dear friend, I know we have become distanced over the last 7 months. In fact, I don't believe we have spent more than 3 hours together since February 12. (For I didn't sleep the nights leading up to labor). Please keep in touch and, while we don't spend as much time together anymore, I'd like to rekindle our relationship at your soonest convenience. 

Truth be told...It's not you, it's me. Actually...it's not you...it's Maddy. :D

We have reached a level of sleep deprivation that one morning this weekend I woke up to myself talking. Apparently, I had been telling Ryan (repetitively) "I don't understand why she's already awake. Why isn't she sleeping." And he was trying to explain to me that she was, indeed, asleep. He even had our Owlet camera pulled up to show me.

It was very confusing for both of us because I was talking in my sleep, and neither of us was aware...

And that's how tired I am. I don't feel tired during the day. Until I sit down. In fact, I have fallen asleep nursing Maddy at 2pm many days recently.

I write this letter as a reminder. Some day Madelyn will be a teenager. I probably will be lying awake in the wee hours of the night worrying about her and the boy she's been talking to, or the crop tops she's trying to wear to school. And maybe I'll yearn for those simpler baby days, where her middle-of-the-night issues were easily "fixed" with a boob in the mouth or some rocking and shushing.

But in the meantime, don't run far and don't give up on me. I'd like to rekindle our relationship soon. 

Best Regards,

Tired Mom 

Comments

Lisa's Yarns said…
Sleep is so tough and I think Maddy is especially tougher in the sleep department. It will get better eventually, but there are always regressions so it can feel like it's endless at times. Hang in there, mama!!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...

Let's try this again...

Last year we purchased soil, mulch, and all these plants that grow great in well-watered, rich-soiled areas. Then we went away for a weekend, and everything dried up like a prune. I was a bit disappointmented, as gardening is a hobby & passion of mine. In fact, I became quite frustrated with our hot climate. But we did some research on desert plants, and I found a new love! Desert plants are quite fascinating, actually. Their tough outer skin & small leaves result in maximum absorbtion of our spare water -- allowing them to thrive on little. They are also extremely regenerative. You can cut a branch or an arm off a cactus, and plant it in the ground somewhere else to create a new plant. So we found a very local cactus nursery last weekend, and got to work! Here are a few of the gems we planted. (These are pictures I've found offline, as I haven't taken proper pictures of our front yard yet due to the immaturity of our plants at this point) The Desert Barrel ...